Wallace the mule just made an ass of all those fancy dressage horses

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/09/wallace-the-mule-just-made-an.html

7 Likes

See that? He’s a noble steed.

15 Likes

He didn’t win the UK Dressage championship, he won a dressage event in the UK, specifically a British Dressage Quest Club competition at Summerhouse Equestrian in Gloucestershire. Which prompts two questions:

Why is everything over there such a mouthful? and

Is Summerhouse Equestrian so secretive about its proceedings that they wouldn’t let the BBC film any actual dressage? A story about dressage without dressage is like a story about curling without showing any curling.

11 Likes

First rule of Summerhouse Equestrian Dressage Competition: you don’t talk about Summerhouse Equestrian Dressage Competition.

16 Likes

Now I’m imagining the losing competitors being forced to watch film from previous competitions as a punishment, like the scene from A Clockwork Orange. I’ve watched too much sci-fi.

4 Likes

Wasn’t this the sum of Mitt Romney’s athletic experience?

2 Likes

For people wanting mule dressage, I couldn’t find a Wallace video, but here’s the first mule doing dressage from 2014 in the U.S.:

5 Likes

Finally got around to watching the video on Wallace and he seems very adorable and quite a happy mule. Wish i could give him all the ear scratches.

7 Likes

He’s an expect at being an ass.

It’s the fucking Summerhouse Equestrian Dressage Competition

2 Likes

You’re mentally pronouncing too many syllables. When read aloud, it would be “Summ’ous 'Questran 'n Gloster.” 6 syllables.

7 Likes

“I don’t think it’s very nice, you laughin’…”

6 Likes

Those three adorable rich white children are right: it is nice to see such diversity.

12 Likes

I don’t know. Somehow he lifted his dog unto the roof of his car.

3 Likes

Horse or mule, I still don’t understand how they train the animal to put on a dress?

5 Likes

Yeah. And where’s the video of that!?

2 Likes

maybe my favorite BB category, that was adorable (I swear he’s smiling at times)

annnndd just spent an hour watching horses on youtube…

1 Like

Is there a saying about putting a dress on a mule? Should there be one?

3 Likes

Yeah, why don’t we have nice, simple-to-spell-and-say names like Mississippi, Tallahassee, Appalachian, Okefenokee, Schenectady…

4 Likes

A colleague of mine has riding mules. Quite smart and dog-like in ways (they will unlatch gates and follow him to the house). However, they do hold grudges, and will wait for months to find the best place to buck him off…

2 Likes

Yeah, made me laugh as well. But it is encouraging they are fully aware of the concept and have the flexibility to apply it in another context. But still, it IS the sort of thing the anti-PC brigade might mock, and there would have to be a smidgen of sympathy, I’m sorry to say.

1 Like