Warner Bros. releases first image of Joaquin Phoenix as The Joker

But they all have a consistent format and tone set up entirely by Favreau and Iron Man 1.

I agree that this seems to be the tone they have stuck with and it is simply awful. Works for Batman, not for anyone else in that universe.

In fact…to the point you made about goofball buddy comedy (which I assume you sort of mean Ragnarok on that one…which is only a minor portion of that flick)…that is absolutely what DC should have given us with a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold team up movie. And then give us a dark noir mystery movie with Mahershala Ali as Private Detective John Jones (Martian Manhunter).

DC could just do so much…and I can’t help but think WB just fuck’s everything up.

2 Likes

If I’m going to watch a comic book movie, I’d kind of like it to be about someone who I can root for. What is the point of making a murderous psychopath into the hero of the film? Even with no information whatsoever about the plot, writing, or anything else, I can tell i will be giving this one a miss.

(No, I’m not fond of Hannibal Lecter films either).

3 Likes

1 Like

I watched the first season and part of the 2nd. Yeah, it’s a cop show with weird villains, but not weird villains. I don’t know why they chose to make a comic book based show that lacks nearly all the comic elements.

I also don’t understand why they chose to make a Teen Titans show with an MA rating and ignore much of the established look - and of course went with a grim-dark palette. :confused:

Marvel at least has slowly gone from muting everything to allowing some of the colors to pop.

1 Like

I’m thinking the haircut is an attempt to draw connection to Ledger’s.

Sure as shit do. Leto is apparently still the Joker for Suicide Squad, team ups. And multiple stand alone Jared Leto fests. They’re apparently doubling down on Joker for the second Suicide Squad sequel.

But then there’s this. An apparently stand alone Joker film made by vastly more interesting people (Scorsese is involved!). And there’s been chatter about additional non Leto non Pheonix Joker films.

If I hadn’t seen DC’s existing output I might suspect they were up to something interesting. As it is this smells of shit show.

1 Like

This looks like a kinda less kind James Taylor! He’s seen Fire, and Rain, and he’s gonna make you pay for it!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.