Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway lost $340 million to California couple's massive Ponzi con

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/27/warren-buffetts-berkshire-h.html

2 Likes

$340M? Kind of a drop in the bucket for him, eh?

4 Likes

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway lost $340 million

That’s like you or I losing a dollar bet, I can’t find my fu@ks for this.

7 Likes

“150 luxury cars”

How many cars can you actually use? I mean, did they just drive each one until it got dirty and then buy a new one? Did they look in the garage each morning and go “Oh, that old thing? I couldn’t possibly be seen in that …”?

7 Likes

This product is intriguing - a trailer with ~2.3kW of solar panels on it. That would generate about $3 a day in electricity in Arizona, but cost about $30 a day for someone to tow it into place. How could anyone think this was a good investment?

5 Likes

Volume!!!

10 Likes

Note - the post currently says BH lost $340, not $340 million.

2 Likes

Huh. A Dominican university that I pass on my commute has maybe 6-8 of these on their campus, to run practice field lights, tennis courts lights, and as outdoor charging stations near the dorms. I wonder if they paid for those, I almost never see them in use. But I HAVE coveted them, wishing one would wander into my yard to live a cage-free existence

2 Likes

Umm… they were “investments”. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Jun. 5, 2019

The investors typically paid $45,000 of the $150,000 price tag for each of the units up front, then claimed a $45,000 tax credit on their investment as well as tax deductions for the devices’ depreciation,

Or roughly the value of about 1000 shares of BH stock.

ETA: I remember working on an investment project in the early 90’s when BRKA was trading at only $15,000 US/share. If only I had a time traveling DeLoren!

Only invest in things you understand is a pretty good motto -

Maybe they wanted to start some sort of luxury car uber thingy. That’s a good way to lose money also.

Seems they went bankrupt also. Curious. Here’s the inventory liquidation invite:

Needs more @frauenfelder

Um, isn’t that how Ponzi schemers always get caught? Either that or they disappear and abscond with their funds on the verge of bankruptcy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.