Warriors, come out to play-ee-ay! Lin-Manuel Miranda, Eisa Davis, and Nas reimagining classic film as album

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/02/warriors-come-out-to-play-ee-ay-lin-manuel-miranda-eisa-davis-and-nas-reimagining-classic-film-as-album.html

3 Likes

it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

5 Likes

It’s amazing how this tale has evolved since the original.

9 Likes

One thing I fluv about the director’s cut of the Warriors is that it acknowledges the source material the tale was based on, and it includes the comic book segues that got cut out.

15 Likes

I wonder who’ll play the DJ (the Greek chorus). I heard once that Lynne Thigpen (the O.G.) was originally intended to be shown full-face, but she requested to be shown only as the lips, which is way cooler. What actor does that??

13 Likes

Via Allan Rose Hill

6 Likes

7 Likes

I didn’t know that about the director’s cut. I guess I’ll be buying this movie again

9 Likes

“Show Full Post”:

Warriors, come out to play-ee-ay! Lin-Manuel Miranda, Eisa Davis, and Nas reimagining classic film as album

Allan Rose Hill 11:40 am Fri Aug 2, 2024

image: promotional lobby card

Lin-Manuel Miranda of Hamilton fame is joining playwright/actress/singer Eisa Davis and hip-hop artist Nas to reimagine The Warriors, the seminal 1979 cult film about New York City gangs. This isn’t a remake of the movie (not yet, anyway) but rather a concept album inspired by the plot.

“We’ve spent the past three years musicalizing the Warriors’ journey home, from the South Bronx to Coney Island,” they said in a press statement. “Along the way we’ve gotten to work with a lot of our favorite artists, and we’ll be announcing their roles on the album in the weeks ahead.”

Walter Hill’s original movie is based on Sol Yurick’s novel and tells the tale of a NYC gang bopping their way home from the Bronx to Coney Island after being framed for murdering a gang leader calling for peace among the kids.

7 Likes

It’s kind of funny that even though I watched a lot of “cult” movies while growing up, since I grew up in the NYC-metro area I was completely unaware of this movie until I went off to college. It was never shown on any of the NYC TV stations, and I never even saw it on cable.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Don’t forget The Hi-Hats. When I watched The Warriors as a kid I thought getting one’s butt kicked by a gang of mimes in top hats would bring the ultimate shame.

IMG_5934

8 Likes
6 Likes

Neither did I, until I’d bought a copy; it was a welcome surprise.

2 Likes

Where do bowler hats and codpieces fit in the hierarchy of violent gang attire?

6 Likes

That’s not NYC! Doesn’t count! :laughing:

5 Likes

What car/van is that?

I was Rebellion at the weekend in Blackpool and saw at least 2 people dressed like that…

1 Like

And she still managed to be a standout in a film chock full of surreal imagery. This is only anecdata, but everyone I know who’s seen the film mentions her performance or quotes one of her lines.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.