Was Biden too quick to rule out World War III?

Originally published at: Was Biden too quick to rule out World War III? | Boing Boing

14 Likes
15 Likes

Sure seems like now that COVIDs’ kind of tapering off that the press is on the hunt for the next mass casualty causer.

18 Likes

31 Likes

As punishment, let us all stop playing along with the “ABC News” charade, and instead call them by their real name: “Walt Disney Infotainment”

20 Likes

This is coming in real handy, twice in one week, good times.

12 Likes

I can’t for the life of me figure out how “COVID” is ending is the line. In the US infection rates are still above the all time lows of last July, not far off where they were during the first wave and hard quarentines. We’re still seeing 7 day average deaths in 1200-2000 range. Only 2/3rds of Americans are vaccinated with 2 doses. Less than a third of them have a booster.

There have been troubling outbreaks even in some countries with much better vaccine penetration than the US.

I can’t for the life of me figure what the fuck bit of info makes this over. Nor what makes another variant less fucking likely than it was this time last year, last fall, or 6 weeks ago.

28 Likes

Well, I believe the number of news stories about covid have come down in the last couple weeks, so, you know.

20 Likes

As to the question… difficult to answer since what’s being questioned involves statements made by a major political figure with political skin in the game and with legitimate concerns with how people/entities would react: The market; the public; political opponents; political allies; and Putin. Right now it’s politically better to appear on the optimistic side while, amongst themselves, Biden and his counterparts meeting in Poland get deep into plans that definitely factor in the likelihood of WWIII. I know I would.

7 Likes

It’s also a fact that Putin can not be allowed to get away with what he did. I won’t even say “win”, because he really can’t win much here in the long run. If a precedent is set for a successful war of aggression and conquest, the world is going to have bigger problems than Ukraine and Putin.

There is no good and easy way out here, if someone doesn’t take care of the root of the problem sitting in the Kreml.

12 Likes

The Ukraine war. That’s what made this over. It sucked up the news cycle and now they’ve moved on. And they need to find something to move on to after that, too, which is why they’re really, really hoping this thing goes very hot.

3 Likes

Angry Ron Swanson GIF

One wonders if the deaths of more of their colleagues would wake them up a bit (so far 4 journalist have died, that I’ve heard about).

Hm… I like how you put this, @beschizza… I’ve been thinking lately about how people often treat the struggles others face, not as real challenges experienced by real people, but as intellectual exercises where a “right” answer can be found by jumping through postmodern philosophical gymnastics… if you just apply the right Foucauldian formulation, wham, you’ll solve transphobia, or some such… I wonder if there is some overarching connection between these two things? I’ll have to think on this…

24 Likes

at work profits GIF by CBC

11 Likes

how I picture Johnson drumming up www3

4 Likes

World War III?! You know who wins WWIII? The mother-effin cockroaches. Know who loses? Everyone but the mother-effin cockroaches.

Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick!

10 Likes

Perhaps if it’s explained to Engel that, in the event of WWIII, the value of his home(s) in NYC and/or DC will fall drastically he might appreciate the gravity of what he’s asking about.

14 Likes

Despite the news seeming interesting, ratings will go way down.

10 Likes

And his Q Score too! The horror…the horror…

4 Likes

but if they switch to a percentage of viewers based rating system and the last person on earth upvotes …

5 Likes

They’ll go up first and that’s how you get that sweet Endtimes advertising revenue!!

5 Likes