Watch 32 out-of-sync metronomes magically synchronize

I get pissed at that little click when the wheel is cut far enough to hit the point where the blinker will turn itself off after the turn. Its a little additional noise, but its characteristically different than the rest of the clicks, and seldom matches up in anyway I can notice with the regular rhythm of those clicks. Sticks out like a sore thumb. So I’m gonna go “probably not” on the wiper question.

Well, that’s the thing. I didn’t see how it would matter since - even in antiphase - they’re synchronised. And - unless the metronomes are asymmetric - no particular ‘side’ (end of swing) should be favoured. Thus a random start distribution should settle down to fifty-fifty (on average) 'side’wise. To find all of 'em perfectly matched seems like tossing 50 heads in succession.

Or at least I thought that until:

which I can believe since a leftward thrust of said base is going to help the metronome’s arms settle to the right, and vice-versa.

Basically, they need to do this with a firmly fixed base (i.e. the whole planet). But maybe they’d run out of steam before they could synch up.

1 Like

Yep – a balance required by the law of conservation of momentum, I believe.

the second one in, at the far right? that’s me

Yes… Indeed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.