Watch a British Airways plane abort its landing at Heathrow after fighting strong winds

What the video shows is an expert pilot doing his best to lay the aircraft as gently as possible on the tail, as part of a test. Ability to survive a tail strike is not what is being tested.

3 Likes

Found the Navy pilot.

2 Likes

I remember some of those; the pilots had to come in with a near 45 degree crab angle to land. They frequently landed first on just one of the body wheels, too; best practices want you to land as close to simultaneously on those wheels as possible for stability (and to keep from scraping a wing tip and spinning out).

1 Like

eeyeah… that’ll buff right out!

In the pit of their coccyx.

1 Like

“They’re called aviators.”

2 Likes

Take as many tries as you need, just make the last one count.

2 Likes

I’d wholeheartedly recommend Mentour Pilot’s channel on YouTube.
He has a series ongoing analyzing famous and less famous incidents in addition to more generic aviation stuff.
Precise factual information, clear explanations based on actual incident/accident reports, no drama while being respectful when loss of life is involved, good production values.

2 Likes

Woof, that was a clencher.

I remember flying Southwest into Dallas one fine windy and rainy day back in 2000 or 2001 (I can’t remember) and it was a rough landing. I could have sworn that plane touched down at a sideways angle, but the pilot planted her firmly, and we rolled up the the gate without a scratch. The pilot got an round of applause from the passengers.

Here’s an A380 doing a cross-wind landing in Dusseldorf:

Imagine sitting in the tail section…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.