Watch a compilation of 17 car crashes over the years in this dangerous Seattle freeway exit

Seems like they could at least try contrasting ‘20 MPH’ legends on the ‘Exit’ signs before the tunnel, there’s stuff like that on a few other challenging exits. Flashing lights are not great in dark tunnels (dazzle & distraction), but maybe with polarized blinder filters so they don’t distract drivers in other lanes? Or put 'em before the tunnel? In the end, there’s just gonna be some oblivioids anyway.

3 Likes

The 520 Slide.

4 Likes

“This is not funny! someone could’ve gotten hurt,” he said, unable to stop laughing his ass off.

4 Likes

It amused TF out of me that Seattlites can’t drive in the rain!

U’d think since they get so much practice at it, they’d be highly skilled, but noooOOOOooo!

4 Likes

Just shift the city twenty feet to the left. That’ll straighten that bend right out.

11 Likes

They should lower the exit and put a water curtain.

6 Likes

I’ve lived in a number of placed for many years each, many different parts of the US and also different countries (Quebec, south of Europe, and Japan). I would say that it would be hard to defend there’s anything remarkably bad about Seattle drivers, at least there aren’t any habits or features that I see often that really stand out compared to other places. SW drivers tend to tailgate more, Quebec drivers you might as well not even be human because you’re just in the way, east coast… well… I could go on about east coast. CA I got struck twice within two weeks, both times when I was stationary in traffic in my lane and the other person wasn’t paying attention. Japan is just as Japanese as you’d expect, but southern Europe is famous enough for me not to go into it here.

Seattle might have its quirks, and perhaps it doesn’t work for you, but I don’t think there’s much support for being “the worst”. One thing I felt was remarkably good in Seattle is that people generally seem less angry. If you’re in the fast lane, instead of getting angry that you’re there because someone wants to go faster, people seem to just go around and move on. Much less honking to make sure people understand how angry they are or how wrong you are for doing something they don’t like. And that’s a good thing. They also let you in. There generally seems to be less of this ego thing about someone moving in front of another person that I’ve experienced time and time again elsewhere.

1 Like

The exit really isn’t that bad. It’s well lighted, there’s ample opportunity to slow down, and there’s plenty of warning signs along the way.

But the problem isn’t even really the curve so much which is severe but not really bad even at speed, it’s that it terminates at a stoplight pretty much the moment you come out from the tunnel. If you’re not paying attention and are going too fast you have to choose to hit the wall, another car, or a pedestrian, or run the light.

Last time I took this exit, I got a picture of the camera that took these videos just for fun (and no I wasn’t driving at the time):

Washington drivers are pretty bad, but the worst? Not even close. The worst Washington state drivers are the ones with Oregon plates. It’s pretty much a guarantee. As for the worst drivers I’ve come across in the US, I don’t think Florida (specifically Miami) can be beat.

Although I will say as someone who’s lived in WA for some time now that there’s a shocking amount of people who drive at night completely oblivious to the fact that their high beams are on, or that their headlights are off entirely. Every single time I drive at night I am guaranteed to see at least one of those. It’s just baffling especially as most cars these days have automatic headlights.

7 Likes

As an Oregonian who travels to the Seattle area for work fairly often, I can confirm this. I’m embarrassed by my fellows. Apparently, Oregonians get 50% worse once they leave the boundary of Vancouver, WA and get into Washington, proper.

TBF, Washington drivers have the same problem in Oregon. The most likely car on I-5 or I-205 to be going 10 mph below the speed limit during rush hour in the fast lane while watching a cat video on their phone is one with Washington plates. It’s just science.

3 Likes

That was me. But only if you signaled first.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.