Watch a delivery person barely (BARELY!) avoid getting run down by a huge truck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/21/watch-a-delivery-person-barely.html

4 Likes

Apparently, July 20, 2019 was that fellow’s lucky day.

It was a lucky day for me, too, as I also was not run down by a huge truck.

24 Likes

WTF why are the pointing a camera at a monitor for a clearly digital video?

1 Like

The level of panic shown by the folks in this video is much lower than I would expect.

Shock ­

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good point.

That woman took advantage of the distraction to steal a small child from the back of the truck!

7 Likes

It’s not uncommon for posts here to be a cell phone recording of security camera footage.

I’d guess for some reason transferring the correct portion of the security footage is a hassle and so the cell phone is just a quick work around.

7 Likes

Or this sort of thing happens all the time.

3 Likes

Did you see the look in his eyes, crazy man, crazy.

Brakes? We don’t need no steenkin brakes.

2 Likes

People don’t know how to extract files from security systems.

Actually, if someone shows you a playback on a security system, filming it on your phone is a really good idea because security systems will often, by default, delete the oldest video when they run out of space.

4 Likes

Also, some security systems use a proprietary format that requires their own player that will not easily export to a file that can be uploaded.

3 Likes

Right. Intentionally useless

1 Like

And the truck only destroyed some of the stuff he was dropping off!

1 Like

shoulda pulled his truck into the turn off and not block the main fairway. Still, lucky to complain about it no doubt.

That seems unlucky, that the delivery got (partially) ruined.
I kind of imagine that his day went like this:

“There’s a truck heading right for you!”
“That’s bad!”
“But it just missed you!”
“That’s good!”
“But it hit your delivery!”
“That’s bad!”
“But most of it is okay!”
“That’s good!”
“But you’re still held liable for the part that got destroyed!”
“That’s bad!”
etc.

2 Likes

Oh those Taoist.

1 Like
1 Like

As a professional embedded software engineer I am qualified to answer this. Device software tends to suck really bad from a usability stand point. Unless a feature is important enough to become a bullet point on the box label, it’s probably not going to get a lot of attention from an engineering department.

Once the suckercustomer purchases a device, our obligation to make that device useful seems to end. Besides we’re probably already working on Mk III of a product by the time anyone buys and reviews the first version.