Watch a fearless pup win a stare-down contest with a big mountain lion

Originally published at: Watch a fearless pup win a stare-down contest with a big mountain lion | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I too share the courage of a lion when behind a glass wall. The follow up vid will be interesting

17 Likes

That is one BIG kitty. I always forget how substantial they are until I see one in context.

15 Likes

There was a certain air of “I fart in your general direction” on the part of the dog as the cat departed. I suspect Dash will not be let out unattended into the yard.

The woman should have made a lot of noise and scared it away; banged on the glass and shouted to make it clear that this is a scary place to avoid.

24 Likes

Absolutely. And if that front door isn’t normally locked it better be from now on, since that door handle would be easy for the cougar to trip just from randomly pawing around the door!

17 Likes

Whoo boy, there’s a disconnect going on there -
Dog: “Will you be my friend?”
Mountain Lion: “Can I make this my snack? No? Maybe later.”
Dog: “Bye, potential friend!”

Don’t let your dog outside by itself, lady. Ever.

24 Likes

That cat thought he was at the Horn and Hardart’s automat, looking for a place to insert his quarters.

11 Likes

When it started looking past the dog at the woman filming, I feared it was thinking dog = appetizer, human = main course! :worried:

8 Likes

Yes on both counts: scare the cat away to make sure it doesn’t come back, and lock that door (I saw the lever kind of handle too!).

I’m guess but thhis must have been in an area that’s called the wildland-urban interface. People move out to the mountains, bring their little bite size pups, then realize there are REAL wild animals out here!

12 Likes

Jurassic Park has been out for almost 30 years now. There’s no excuse for carelessly using this kind of door handle. None.

16 Likes

That dog totally thought it won the day. “Yeah, that’s right, you RUN!”

3 Likes

20 Likes

Lever handles have been mandated in the National Building Code for a couple of decades now. If you want it to not open the door, throw the deadbolt or use a locking lever handle.
I think the deadbolt is engaged. Working the lever handle won’t open the door.

4 Likes

Yup. This is not so much “mountain lion on patio” as “patio put in mountain lion’s habitat”.

19 Likes

She seemed awfully scared for little Dash’s safety when she could have just, you know, walked over and scooped him up, probably scaring away the mountain lion in the process. I can see why she didn’t want to do that, given the rare spectacle and the unlikelihood of the big cat just smashing itself through a window, but… make up your mind? Either your dog is in horrible danger or he’s not.

5 Likes

Depending upon the particular circumstances, and depending upon the person, some people may or may not have access to that “make up your mind” button in their head.

I’ve been surprised often enough to stop guessing who is going to do what.

3 Likes

Some people like to argue with their dogs

like one day the dogs are all magically going to start doing what they’re told

Cat people are not burdened by this delusion

19 Likes

That lion seemed to have encountered glass before and knew it couldn’t get through. Regular visitor?

3 Likes

They don’t call’em lions for nothing

1 Like

Here’s how tumblr saw it:

11 Likes