Watch a guided sniper bullet hit its target

I don’t trust the government or civilians with these.

10 Likes

“there’s no reason why such a drone could not achieve some last second lateral movement and evade the bullet”
Or intercept it. Disposable drones as defensive measures are a long predicted development.

3 Likes

Does anybody else think that the Dark* narrator has a really odd cadence to his voice?

3 Likes
11 Likes

That last paragraph is perfection.

5 Likes

He does. There is another presenter I have seen on youtube and FB that is so weird. I think it might be party ESL, but also partly they are speaking weird to be offputting/weird/memorable. Like a lot of ending sentences going up an octave, or emphasis on the wrong syllable.

2 Likes

SAS snipers have to keep in mind variable humidity and wind speed along the bullet’s flight path. At that distance they also have to take the Coriolis effect into account.

1 Like

7 Likes

“Though I would never, ever so much as touch one, I bet the Barrett is probably very fun to shoot,” Robinson said.

Employees at my first job were sometimes rewarded by NASA with trips to the “Cape” for Shuttle launches. Lodgings, meals, and facility tours. There was one very unusual ‘perk’: Being allowed to fire an automatic rifle. Part of the tour meant meeting up with the security guards there. Per one tour group some of us spoke with later, each tour member was in turn handed a rifle (an AR-15, I think) and allowed to fire it off into the distance. Yes, they recognized and admitted to the incongruity and strangeness of that.

4 Likes

Don’t swear, you’re better than that.

2 Likes

I mean there will, increasingly, be little difference between a round fired from a gun/launcher and a drone. Both classes of things will include some self-propelled, computer-guided objects that pursue a target to deliver a kinetic/explosive payload.

2 Likes

People won’t be shooting these bullets – robots will.

Also, what’s the cost per bullet? When will the cost be cheaper than training/employing a sniper?

2 Likes

With the sophistication of cyber armies around the world, “return to sender” malware is sure to come :slight_smile:

5 Likes
5 Likes

Reminds me a bit of the XM25 grenade launcher. It was way more accurate and effective than traditional under rifle or pistol fired grenade launchers, but the Pentagon ultimately decided not to purchase the system based on cost and weight.

My guess is that the bullets will be so expensive and time consuming to produce that they will only be used on high value targets, or for assassinations. Not a comforting thought, either.

1 Like

Wait ‘til the smaller caliber bullets come out…

3 Likes

Or reusable ammunition…

10 Likes

Dark Frottage

A drone with a Phalanx CIWS?

Or maybe its own guided bullet- there’s something to be said for a guided self-defense munition.

I really like that the developer has kept the Sniper’s “stress rating” at the heart of their KPI model.