Watch a guided sniper bullet hit its target

Very, very odd. Kind of stress-talking, yet still halfway mumbling half the words - like he’s going faster than his mouth can physically accommodate. Really uncomfortable to listen to IMO.

3 Likes

Work on this goes back to at least 1993

But I remember it being intended for a anti-tank role. By targeting vulnerable spots on a tank, such as the turret ring (joint between turret and chassis), a large caliber bullet can disable a tank almost as well as a rocket but with lower risk of exposing your location (and cheaper too).

2 Likes

Using random available footage of “technology” when talking about the concept of guided bullets is one thing, but I felt pretty uncomfortable with the video’s use of footage of random middle-eastern-looking people and the implication that these are folks that need to be shot and that this weapon is specifically intended to shoot these scary brown people.

9 Likes

i guess they are pretty cost-effective if you only need one.

1 Like

I agree, though the “baddies” are identified by region via the voice over, the screen grab of the particular segment is, through visual context, hostages, ostensibly to be saved and likely through violent means.

I need to parse this for a little before I contact the creator.

Edit to add: Found the email, composing.

Meh, clearly this is the inspiration for this invention.

10 Likes

I couldn’t bear to watch the whole vid. Too much ear abuse.

1 Like

Also, what’s the cost per bullet? When will the cost be cheaper than training/employing a sniper?

I think that’s something that is playing into the calculations by DARPA. With as much as military fighter jets cost, one of the reasons the US military goes through extraordinary lengths to retrieve downed pilots, is with the length of training and skill they have achieved, they are worth more than the aircraft.

You look at the amount of money, and time spent at the range, to train up a proficient sniper, and I’m pretty sure it’s going to average higher than a steerable bullet handed to any random person who can pull the trigger.

1 Like

That’s how a German Tiger tank ended up in British hands, and ultimately at the Bovington Tank Museum - they have a Tiger Day, when it’s brought out for demo runs.
It was captured after the turret jammed and the crew abandoned it without torching it as they had been ordered. It was taken apart and it was discovered that a round had hit the turret/turret ring and hadn’t exploded, but had just jammed it, to the delight of the Army engineers who had a golden opportunity to do a full evaluation of the vehicle. Fortunately it didn’t end up as a target on a live-fire range like Salisbury Plain.

4 Likes

He speaks like his nuts are trapped in a drawer but he’s been told to finish the damn piece.

4 Likes

Solution: Only go to war in desert regions. Oh right, I see someone got there before me.

2 Likes

It’s a mirage!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.