Watch: A hesitant man trapped in a burning lift finally jumps to safety

Originally published at: Watch: A hesitant man trapped in a burning lift finally jumps to safety | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Might as well jump.

22 Likes

Guy hit feet first… not good…

13 Likes

Reminds me of the vids showing people urging a cat to jump from a burning building. The cats seemed less leery.

6 Likes

This is fine.

8 Likes

16 Likes

And you didn’t link to the video?

ETA @ikeOnABike just beat me to it (well would have, had the video been posted).

6 Likes
11 Likes

I was too lazy.
You could say, I didn’t jump to it.
:wink:

6 Likes

The Captain goes down with the ship.

2 Likes

No water on the ground. They didn’t even try to extinguish the fire?

5 Likes

I was expecting this one.

It’s not the worst that you’ve seen.

8 Likes

Featuring one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

5 Likes

Truly a masterpiece of camera work.

11 Likes

Any time I’ve gone up in one of these I wear a harness and make sure there’s a coiled rope in the basket for just such an occurrence.

At some point a line would have ruptured and he would have come down… hard.

2 Likes

Would love to see a competent analysis of whether the risk of tearing through the net feet first outweighs the advantages of keeping the head hitting last with feet first. Given that these seem to not be commonly trained or carried anymore, I might be inclined to protect my head by jumping feet first.

3 Likes

I think I would have probably jumped long before they showed up, and suffered the consequences.

Or else tried to shimmy down the cherry picker arm, and suffered a different set of consequences.

I guess it’s counterintuitive to try and land on your back or stomach.

3 Likes

How did the thing catch fire in the first place? Did he touch a live wire with the arm?

ETA:

a man on a lift had made contact with the power lines

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

3 Likes

It seems surprising that the truck that has the guys in full turnout didn’t have a rapid response nozzle…

Also, in retrospect, it would have taken less time to throw him a rope with a harness on it, tell him to put it on, duck under the rail and sit. The rail would be the pulley, the descent could be managed with two firefighters and their 4 leather gloves (source: one of our training drills is to brake the descent of a colleague on an aluminum ladder with just our 2 hands and leather gloves… it works, but the gloves get hot).

I’m not Monday morning quarter backing here… much. Just seems to me like the lesson learned is, “jumping is hard, don’t make scared people do it, find another way.”

2 Likes