Watch a keyboard melt into acetone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/07/watch-a-keyboard-melt-into-ace.html

1 Like

Interesting that the key label paint didn’t dissolve.

CAPS LOCK WILL NEVER DIE!!!

8 Likes

8 Likes

Damn that was some aggressive music. Dude demands all of my attention!

1 Like

does that improve bluetooth connectivity at all

1 Like

https://youtu.be/EPrSVkTRb24
Would prefer this music

Ooooo

I guess they took out the PCB first? That wouldn’t have dissolved.

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing: “Shouldn’t there have been a big piece of fiberglass in there?”

I would have expected them to be using heated acetone, but it doesn’t look like it’s boiling. I also would have expected it to saturate pretty quickly. It’s not even being stirred at all, is it?

Some of the end products this fellow ends up with ought to make fine money as modern art sculptures.

Yeah but that may void the warranty.

4 Likes

looks like a normal day on the Youtube comments

You can see the PCB in the melted mess. It’s a transparent flex board. They have been using those since the nineties.
(You have disassembled a keyboard in the last 20 years, haven’t you? )

1 Like

What happened to the keycaps on the numeric keypad? Are they starring in the next video?

And here we have an Ace Tone Keyboard:

3 Likes

What did they do with the evil sludge they ended up with? I cant imagine all of the liquid just evaporated.

Not a membrane keyboard outside of a laptop, no. I did see the silicone membrane, but I assumed that was just to hold the conductive pads over a regular PCB with the contacts on it, like you’d see in a game controller or most other things with multiple buttons. Do newfangled keyboards have the contacts on something like those orange printed ribbon cables?

Newfangled keyboards are thick versions of laptop keyboards, with membrane switches. They just don’t have the fancy low-profile buttons.
Once the affordable-keyboard industry discovered how to lithograph their circuits onto plastic, they haven’t looked back.

There’s a traditional green PCB visible at 2:00 . Presumably the logic circuits are on here, with the switches on the flexible membrane?

The first keyboard I ever dismantled, in the early 1980s, had membrane switches that looked just like that:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.