Concrete computer keyboard

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/28/concrete-computer-keyboard.html

3 Likes

does the key click sound like a sledgehammer bashing on concrete? if not I am not interested

16 Likes

I once interfaced a teleprinter to an 8-bit computer. It sounded like a jackhammer. Would not do again.

10 Likes

I hate when ideas I’ve mused upon are done by other people before I can

At least now I don’t need to waste time doing it now

5 Likes

“just stick one of these on the device, problem solved” (every health and safety officer I know)

14 Likes

I didn’t think you needed rebar for something this small, especially if it’s held in a consistent temperature.

5 Likes

So not for use in Alaska, then.

4 Likes

Do you not abuse a keyboard yourself? Have you ever seen what keyboards are subjected to?

13 Likes

THIS SHOULD ONLY TYPE IN CAPS.

17 Likes

This looks like something you would find in an old East German government building.

10 Likes

Looks right at home on a Vogon constructor fleet ship.

15 Likes

He should have mixed in some vermiculite to make lightweight concrete.

5 Likes

Or some bacteria to make self-healing concrete.

3 Likes

Is this a real thing?

3 Likes

What problem does this solve?

5 Likes

Yep. I made some myself to fit around a wood stove’s chimney passing through a wall. Normally, you can’t use concrete or stone close/tight to the pipe, you must have a 4in air gap - as their insulating value is zero. For wood stoves’ clearance specifications, stone and concrete have a thickness of zero inches, no matter how thick.

With lightweight (insulating) concrete, you can make that pipe’s gap smaller (say 1in, depending on local building codes).

Some info here:

7 Likes

Casual keyboard theft.

Loss of keyboard due to strong winds.

Reduces subtle glancing at passwords taped under keyboard.

Secure disposal of confidential keyboards at sea.

19 Likes

I don’t know, but whatever the problem is, they’ve found a concrete solution.

22 Likes

But that sounds … awesome.

3 Likes

I like the last one best.

4 Likes