Concrete computer keyboard

Oh. Ouch. Oh.

5 Likes

Hey, thanks! Something I highly likely can use in the future.

3 Likes

Or some jello to make jiggly-concrete.

5 Likes

Where I used to work we stored the concrete cubes under water. Made sure we wore gloves taking them out after all high pH.

1 Like

The complete lack of brutalist keyboards, obviously.

9 Likes

This is, to my eye, the opposite of brutalism: the concrete form is separate from its function. It’s more minimalist, in the Ma sense of the object creating meaningful negative space in the observer’s mind.

A brutalist concrete keyboard would be keys literally molded from concrete, or using a concrete base to hold the switches, or perhaps having just enough concrete casing to act as a wrist-rest.

3 Likes

hey let’s have an argument about architecture. I’ll get us started and never look at the thread again

8 Likes

When can we get an artisinal “distraction-free” self-contained word-processor version? Maybe with a polished, acid dyed concrete finish, and a mounting bracket so you can take it with you on penny farthing road trips? Kickstarter?

4 Likes

Pretty sure Cory has first dibs on that MO already…

5 Likes

hacking fully functional computers into old keyboards is a cool hobby!

http://straypoetry.com/project/raspberry-pi-inside-a-vintage-mechanical-apple-extended-keyboard/

2 Likes

I’m still partial to turning manual typewriters into USB and Bluetooth keyboards.

If I had a suitable typewriter I so would have done this already - but I need word-processing software that will correctly include flying capitals…

2 Likes

I’ll see your concrete and raise you steel:

7 Likes

I hope those are bolted down. Otherwise that is sooo gonna leave a mark when it is used to whack a fellow inmate upside the head… :hushed:

2 Likes

10 Likes

Using a graveyard as a keyboard. That’s dark, man.

6 Likes

I just thought it looked like a TTY keyboard from a phone booth, when phone booths were a thing.

Typing all Archy-style. Who’s the cockroach now?!

1 Like

Could be. I have no idea what a prison keyboard would look like if such things exist. I have read that tvs and typewriters with transparent enclosures are sold to prisons to make it harder to hide stuff in them.

3 Likes

4 Likes

archy could’t operate the shift key.