Watch: A man lights a sphere made of 42,000 matches and it's stunning

Dunno, but ain’t it cool? My presumption was the residual heat radiating off the sphere reacting to the air temperature pushed the airflow around, perhaps combined with any slight wind? Though it seemed calm, maybe there was wind enough to affect the travel of the smoke and/or heat?

1 Like

I think it might be a non-visible flame front, consuming unburned volatiles in the smoke. Just too optically thin to see the flame.

3 Likes

cool if true

1 Like

Track 6, Pets (16:09 - 19:46) is one of my all-time favourites.

2 Likes

I just love the fact that someone thought: “What happens if I build a great big sphere out of matches and light it?”.

George Lucas should substitute this re-take for the Death Star Explosion in Ep.4!

1 Like

Well, it’s a good thing he kept a few on hand to ignite the thing. Imagine the embarrassment of setting all this up only to have to ask around to find someone who could give you a light.

4 Likes

That’s my favorite, too! Fills me with nostalgia for the ‘good ol’ days’.

1 Like

Presumably he would have still had one of the many boxes that the matches came in?

I’m actually a little disappointed the matches weren’t ignited by spinning the ball against a friction surface.

3 Likes

At first I was more thinking of the Genesis Effect from ‘The search for Spock’, actually… but then came the slo-mo part. Yep, definitely Sauron.

Edit: @kaibeezytentroy beat me to it…

Ready when you are, Mr deMille.

2 Likes

Hasn’t anybody noticed how they are doing this experiment IN A FOREST??

2 Likes

How flammable was the glue? I used to play with matches until I discovered glue burns too.

The Trump presidency.

1 Like
3 Likes

I was waiting for the moment when he would tap the black shell of ashes and see it fall (or not fall) in dust.

1 Like

I wonder if the surface of the sphere is uniform enough to act as a green screen. There are some video editing opportunities here.

1 Like

No wonder the Klingon ambassador was so concerned about the Genesis Project

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.