Watch how this coronavirus sculpture made of 300,000 matches is built and then burned

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/17/watch-how-this-coronavirus-scu.html

7 Likes

Video link for the BBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EpTAhRctBE

5 Likes

I get the impression that they were expecting it to explode? Why else fill it with “RNA” and ground up match heads?

4 Likes

That was a whole lot of work, too bad the results when set aflame weren’t that impressive. I’ve seen wood pallets produce bigger flames than that

1 Like

And for the finale, he was able to stop the coronavirus by pouring some hydroxychloroquine on it.

hydroxychloroquine

13 Likes

This video is intended for scientific and entertaining purposes only.

That’s a pretty broad-ass net to be casting with an “only.”

2 Likes

Blimey, no wonder this virus is so dangerous! Look at the size of that thing!

9 Likes

Seriously. You get one of those in your lungs and there’s barely room for any air.

10 Likes

There was barely any air in my lungs after giggling at your comment.

4 Likes

Trump is gonna watch this video once… then declare that the cure has been found.

6 Likes

I am unreasonably disappointed at the use of hot glue. I understand wood glue would be a hassle, but at least some cyanoacrylate would be nice.

1 Like

The end result is exactly how the virus enters the respiratory tract. Please be sure to share this information with all of your friends, because the government isn’t saying anything and the doctors aren’t allowed to talk about it.

2 Likes

Cool…now do 300,000 fire crackers !

(and remove the awful techno)

3 Likes

This video is way too long for his attention span. Maybe instead a two-bullet point synopsis (with all the important stuff being in the first bullet point because he’s not going to read the second).

3 Likes

Yep. That was pretty much exactly what I expected and completely disappointing. He should have used a fair amount of wick to get the fire inside.

Also, what sort of idiot lights things from the top? Has he never built a campfire?

5 Likes

This. You can see that there is a lot of powder left unburnt, probably also because there is not enough oxygen inside.

From the video’s description:

Time Spent:
➜ 170 Hours (making phosphorus powder from matches)
➜ 40 Hours (cutting matches)
➜ 90 Hours (gluing matches)
➜ 30 Hours (Editing video)

So far the video accumulated less than 100 views per hour of work invested.

Instead of investing the equivalent of 4 work weeks grinding up the tips of matches they might have ordered and mixed a few chemicals in under 4 hours, or skipped that part entirely, because the stuff in de center did not burn.

And 30 hrs cutting video is probably because it was done on a smartphone :grinning:

3 Likes

Am I the only one worried about the artist getting “Phossy Jaw” from all that harvested match powder?

1 Like

When science falls short, people turn to the old ways: fighting disease with voodoo.

1 Like

He’s using Red phosphorus matches, not white phosphorus, so not really.

Reading the Wikimedia pages, it was interesting to see the European countries come together in the early 1900’s to ban white phosphorus matches. The USA instead chose to have match makers be registered, and to tax the number of matches produced. A bit like putting industry before workers. Thankfully that mistake was never made again /s

3 Likes

That thing started off looking like a coronavirus and ended up looking like our economy.

5 Likes