Watch a real firearms historian tear apart video game guns

Well, maybe not when he’s being interviewed by “Philomena Cunk”. /s

4 Likes

You’ll have to eat your waffeln without a utensil, then.

Work Vintage GIF by Offline Granny!

6 Likes

“Is it true that even back then, men brandished such weapons mostly as a way to compensate for their unimpressive unmentionables?”

7 Likes

Apologies if this was incuded somewhere in the video, but I wonder if there are any VR-based games out there where you’re using old historically-accurate muzzle-loading muskets and you have to physically move your arms around to do every step of the loading procedure before being able to fire a shot. I’d bet that could get exhausting after a lot of gameplay.

5 Likes

That would require some serious … regulation.

6 Likes

Assassin’s Creed had a Revolutionary War version. So maybe?

2 Likes

That might be because film crews employ armourers who are responsible for all the weapons on set. One of their jobs is to make sure that guns are handled safely, and if that means enforcing correct trigger discipline on extras carrying replicas so that the actors handling real guns don’t slack off then so be it.

3 Likes

Fair! But if they treated guns on sets like they treat physics or historical accuracy, they’d all be neon-yellow squirt guns and nobody’d say boo.

4 Likes

Hm, I believe I sense a bone being picked.

2 Likes

YOU try and watch Speed 2 where a ship hits a dock, everything and everybody pitches forward catastrophically (because the ship suddenly slows down), but then we’re told the ship apparently didn’t slow down!

5 Likes

Rudy Giuliani Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

Whoah, no need to wish that kind of thing on someone! /s

5 Likes

Or Father Ted, Speed 3

6 Likes

You can wipe that right out of your memory by watching Wing Commander.
Where wrecked spaceships that get pushed off the carrier fall when pushed over the edge in deep space.

6 Likes

One of the many things I loved in “Control” is the weapon.
A single, frigging, auto reload, infinite ammo weapon.

It takes many form, and it’s a symbolic and narrative function in the game.

It is 110% unrealistic, and that’s one of the reason I like it, given my predisposition with firearms.

4 Likes

There was a Spoon (Warning: gory violence)

3 Likes

That is why I like keep a silver spoon close at hand on full moon nights

3 Likes

The Doctor has a spoon and knows how to use it.

3 Likes

… is it a sonic spoon :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t want to appear too gatekeepery, but an undergraduate degree with (afaict) no further experience does not an archaeologist make. He has graduate degrees in museology and a job at a prestigious museum, so he’s a curator, not an archaeologist.

I am not saying you need a graduate degree to be an archaeologist, btw. There are many brilliant archaeologists with no degree at all. I know a few, I’ve even worked for one and of course nobody would say people like Phil Harding (whose (deserved) doctorate is honorary) aren’t archaeologists. But they have all earned their stripes with years of fieldwork.

I’m sure this guy is a great academic. Just not in the discipline of archaeology.

5 Likes