Watch a real firearms historian tear apart video game guns

Originally published at: Watch a real firearms historian tear apart video game guns | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Keanu Reeves Gun-Fu GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

9 Likes

This sounds like actually useful gunsplaining, not in service of gun industry talking points. It will give the Future Ammosexuals of America a sad, though, when they realise that their adolescent fantasies of owning real versions of these weapons will never come to pass.

12 Likes

This guy definitely comes across as a historian rather than a gun nut. I think handling the guns carefully with latex gloves is a big factor, as opposed to posing with them and displaying a facial expression of barely-contained lust.

13 Likes

What? No. Waffeln.

3 Likes

I’ve seen that guy in other videos. He has a whole series where he goes over the accuracy of various games. Since he works at a museum he can sometimes show real world examples. Sort of like a Forgotten Weapons with a British accent.

6 Likes

He’s fascinated by the weapons, but unlike the gunsplainers we more frequently encounter he’s not doing it because he’s pissing his pants over the government taking them away.

7 Likes

He had a look at the recent Robocop game too, and completely fanboyed over the Auto 9.
But yes, his is a very… British way of exploring guns, and wonderfully far from sensationalism.

4 Likes

LOL. Because the UK government already took them away. Relegated to the Queen’s (er I guess King’s now) Royal Armouries museum. No reason to piss yourself over something that already happened.

Oh man, I try to ignore you and not take what is clearly bait, but come on.

Side note - the Royal Armouries are pretty awesome, though I went for the swords and armor, I didn’t see any modern weapons when I went to the Tower of London.

Yes, because contrary to some opinions above, I believe he is a historian AND a gun nut. And we Americans love a British accent to give something a sense of formality and authority. “He’s got a British accent, he must know what hes talking about!”

1 Like

tYZrCX

9 Likes

I don’t know why I watched that.
I don’t care about firearms nor do I play COD any more…
…go figure.

5 Likes

Or maybe a spoon…

3 Likes

Okay, for the last time: There. Is. No. Spoon.

3 Likes

I detect a kind of weird undertone in this conversation, like if Ferguson was some kind of crazy weirdo. This guy is an archeologist specialized in firearms weapons, he has a long career and a couple publications, curated several expos and if I understand correctly the title keeper of arms is the head of the royal armouries.

Yes, he has a youtube channel, mainly to promote the museum. But his work is serious and valuable.

4 Likes

No worries about forensics either.

3 Likes

Not on my part. Experts who work in museums (this armoury is effectively a government one) should be fascinated by the items they curate for the benefit of society, which is why I don’t mind him “gunsplaining” at all.

That’s very different from ammosexuals who do technical gunwanking in order to distract from the problems associated with widespread availability of powerful firearms in the U.S.

8 Likes

we’ll chalk it up to my imperfect understanding of english then :wink:

3 Likes

His analysis is certainly going to be saltpeter on some of these gamer’s fantasies… oh my…

2 Likes

Yeah well, I’d guess that a majority of bbsers are Muricans, and we may well be even more likely than citizens of other countries to project our perspectives, anxieties, assumptions and so on onto items of interest in other national contexts. So it goes.

6 Likes

Only tangential to this video, but it bugs me that one of the only things that movie productions really work hard to get hyper-accurate is firearms stuff. Physics? Meh. Actual historical fact? Pfft. Cops entering a building? THE FOURTH EXTRA IN THE BACK HAS HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER THAT IS NOT HOW YOU DO IT DO IT AGAIN!!!

8 Likes