Watch a shelter dog realize it has been rescued

Originally published at: Watch a shelter dog realize it has been rescued | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Such a happy, bouncy and lucky boy :hugs:

22 Likes

If you want a dog or cat, go to a shelter and adopt.

(Note how they described Benny’s former home as a “high kill” shelter.)

21 Likes

Whole lotta anthropomorphizing in those captions, but that’s OK. Good on you, Benny!

29 Likes

Yeah, he’s happy and all, but he barely seems to notice the existence of the family that he’s supposedly so excited to go home with. Looks like he’s just super stoked for a walk. I bet he’s absolutely in love with them now, though! I hope the older dogs there also get lucky and find responsible, kind owners to give them homes for good.

33 Likes

Benny, as he bounces past the locked cages, “So long, suckers!”

6 Likes

Amazing people God-bless you

8 Likes

I mean, we should outlaw birth control and abortion for dogs! Everything clearly works out perfect, the lord saw him to a happy family… shit, there was music! This is the parable of our times!

/s

3 Likes

So much this.

Our shelter dog is a mysterious mix of breeds, so when asked we says he’s “a purebred awesome.”

ETA: Our dog loves chomping flying insects out of the air. So we sometimes call his breed a “regal-snooted moth hound”. His snoot is very regal.

20 Likes

So glad he got adopted, but yah, those videos lay on the anthropomorphizing really thick. He doesn’t understand what is happening, but he will have a better life now, and that’s all that matters.

28 Likes

I’m not crying, YOU’RE crying.

5 Likes

Reminds me of when we adopted Frank. Super cute dog, like most dogs, right? He was bouncing off the walls in the shelter, zoomies all around when we went to the yard area place to play. One of the notes from a vet check was “tornado on four legs”. Filling out the paperwork several volunteers said something along the lines of, “Oh, you’re taking him?” But the wife and I were like, look how cute he is though.

Coming on seven years and he’s finally started to calm down.

He also eats the occasional apple during apple season.

Edit: and he had some dumb dog name I won’t repeat here because he’s clearly a Frank.

29 Likes

Who’s a good boy?
Frank’s a good boy!

9 Likes

Or cat had a dumb former name, and now he’s Frankie. He’s only Frank when he’s in trouble (which is frequently).

8 Likes

I go the other way. People who call Frank Frankie clearly don’t know that his preferred pet names include Frankums, Frankpie, Frankbear, Frankers, and the like. He’ll hear Francis when he’s digging holes to eat dirt.

6 Likes

I really want to love this, but I just can’t. I sure feel for the happy doggo, but the video casts doubt on whether this adoption will end up well or not. I realize the video is very short, and that makes it seem exploitative to me. I need time to see that good boy calm down a bit, and to see the adopters take a moment, for his sake, to sit with him until he cools out some. What I see here is a great deal of tension release and hyperactivity. We see nothing of the adopters, so we can only hope that they can help this pup get over his past (that we don’t know of) and be patient and understanding enough to handle the aggravation that will surely come. I’m sorry, I just can’t stand the thought of a failed dog adoption. I love dogs too much.

9 Likes

Yeah, I saw fear in his shaky early posture, which could be a challenge in training him to socialize. Then happiness on getting a walk (no acknowledgement of the “family”), and tons of pent up energy that was probably 2-year-old hyperactivity along with being caged for a while. Overlaid with a sickly soundtrack I had to mute.

Hope he and the family work well together, and they’re prepared to do the work.

15 Likes

I didn’t see anything wrong with the people/dog interactions; I didn’t see much at all really.

It was jarring knowing enough about dogs to see that the written narrative didn’t match the video. I had all sorts of “That’s got nothing to do with…” kinda reactions.

4 Likes

I have a 13 year old black lab who is till a “tornado on four legs”. She needs a little help getting up now, but once she’s up, watch out! Even worse if there is a squirrel in her sight.

5 Likes

Yeah, the intensity doesn’t fade. Just the frequency.

5 Likes