Watch a spectacular RC jet completely fail at takeoff

A meme is born.

4 Likes

that recounting was a nice gift to read while drinking my morning coffee.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a _complete fail at takeoff - it did get off the ground.

8 Likes

The problem was the landing.

10 Likes

Yup. Failed to miss the ground entirely.

8 Likes

Didn’t work for me either, but the still suggests it’s this one:

The description claims that “my elevons were plugged into the gyro incorrectly”.

8 Likes

That’s an accurate F 104 simulation taken to the extreme.

Only bit that’s wrong is not killing anyone

11 Likes

That’ll do it. The controls would appear to move the right direction when you do your control surface check, but would fight the pilot’s inputs once the plane starts moving. That’s pretty easy to check on a small plane, you pick it up and quickly rotate it in pitch and roll and watch the surfaces to make sure they react to oppose the movement, but you can’t really do that with a plane that big.
Oops.

6 Likes

Much better video than the posted one. There’s no bleeping of naughty words, and there’s an icy-voiced female non-narrator as well.

1 Like

aaah, no it was ground all the way down…

1 Like

Needs a Doc Brown Reaction Face[TM].

2 Likes

My brother was deep into the RC boat scene back in the '80s. He said something like “Sunday is race day. The rest of the week is for fixing what you broke on Sunday.” Not a hobby for the easily frustrated.

We also had one of those string-controlled airplanes, an all plastic ready-to-fly Cessna with a Cox 0.045in^3 motor. We flew it so much that we melted the plastic gas tank and it caught on fire in flight. Sadly this was long before cell phones, so no video.

1 Like

That was a very expensive lawn dart!

3 Likes

How do you obtain your own Starfighter? Buy an acre of land, and wait…
(Paraphrasing Captain Lockheed and TheStarfighters).

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.