Watch a spectacular RC jet completely fail at takeoff

Originally published at: Watch a spectacular RC jet completely fail at takeoff | Boing Boing

8 Likes

…can I suggest a simulator? Most r/c controllers will plug into PCs via USB these days, and there’s also software to read them as input so you can learn to fly without crashing your vehicle. Quad racing is, IMO, best done this way :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s one of my favorite crash videos, merely for the delightful way it bounces, noses down, crashes… then after a pause, explodes. Perfect Loony Tunes ending.

36 Likes

BOOM! goes the enthusiasm for that hobby.

8 Likes

Found a drone out in the back of our property, pretty torn up, got a $25 reward from its owner, guess that’s why people put their names on them, they go missing.

11 Likes

No one flying a multi-thousand $$ (and highly flammable) turbine at a club field is doing so without some experience. Even if the airplane owner is too rich to care, it’s way too big of a liability risk for the club.
Maiden flights tend to be a nerve-wracking experience to the point that I never attempt to fly anything without taking lots of pictures of it, since returning home with it in 1 piece is never guaranteed.

17 Likes

PIO: Pilot Induced Oscillation ?

7 Likes

Canards tend to be twitchy in pitch anyway, and combine it with a CG too far aft and / or too much canard movement will get you in trouble real quick.

11 Likes

Reminds me of when we built model rockets for science projects in jr. high. You could tell who neglected to properly balance their rocket.
As soon as it leaves the rail it turns multiple loops [scattering those nearest], and plops on the ground. Then the parachute pops out…

11 Likes

Really, after the thorough encrashening, the explosion seemed gratuitous.

15 Likes

The delayed explosion was :chef’s kiss:.

25 Likes

OH man - that’s an expensive crash.

Is that a French Mirage model?

6 Likes

Noticing a lot of Boing Boing posts have bad video links lately. This one has a static image and a grey rectangle below it that I think is supposed to be the video, but it does nothing.

3 Likes

That final “burst into flames” was the real icing on the cake that put it into a “true classic” category.

3 Likes

They are links to tiktok. And no, they don’t work well.

5 Likes

Having a deja vu that I’ve seen this before…. Oh yeah, the trump presidency.

4 Likes

It seems that with each passing year the ability to link and share videos gets more and more encumbered.

6 Likes

About 40 years ago I was witness to an even more spectacular maiden flight, of a model F-104 driven by a rear-mounted powerful prop engine. Took off apparently without a hitch, but then stopped responding to controls. It just kept climbing at full throttle, in an apparent very slow looping and quickly gained over 1000 ft in altitude. Panic set in, as this plane, out of control, was a lethal hazard. At three quarters of the loop, physics fortunately sent it plummeting almost straight down, still at full throttle. It hit the ground far from onlookers, at what I estimated over 300kph, and buried about two thirds of its 6 foot fiberglass and epoxy fuselage into the soil. We actually needed a shovel to extricate the remains, which had the consistency of a burlap sack. Said sad remains were unceremoniously slung over the shoulder of the more than slightly upset owner, who had seen more than a year work crash, but fortunately not burn.

13 Likes

Ooh! It even blew-up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Perfect Hollywood landing. :+1:

4 Likes