WATCH: American kids react to breakfasts from around the world

Too true! That is what the kid said to explain his ignorance. Reminded me of a local DJ who was dismissive of his job saying, “This isn’t rocket surgery!”

2 Likes

This has actually been shown to be true - kids’ taste for food is directly influenced by the diet of their (birth) mother. Eating nuts during pregnancy has also been shown to reduce nut allergies in children.

I’ve also read that for young children, they have to be exposed to a new food 4 or 5 times before they generally start liking it. As they get older, that number goes up ten-fold. As for natto (the fermented bean referred to in the first part of the video) I think that probably has more of a genetic component - it’s truly disgusting to anyone born without a taste disorder of some sort.

1 Like

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000169.php

5 Likes

“The entire experience is difficult to describe, but if you can remember
back to the very first time you made out with a hobo’s ass, it’s a lot
like that.”

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Maybe I should feel bad for being so entirely intolerant of adults that are picky eaters…
Nope, I don’t.

At least in those born to mothers not having a fatal allergic reaction to them.

Good point, though I actually read recently that great inroads have been made in to reducing allergic reactions to nuts in adults through exposure.

I’m kind of surprised by the kids’ neophilia. I would have expected a lot more “no, I won’t eat it.” I was floored by “I found a dead fish in it” followed immediately by “slurp.” I also liked the kid who hated coffee. I wanted to say “Hey, kid, wait until you get to college. You may change your mind.”

5 Likes

In Kyoto, I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet of grilled fish and miso soup.

I’ve always thought kids US kids could develop a taste for incredibly sour Japanese pickles.

1 Like

This has actually been shown to be true - kids’ taste for food is
directly influenced by the diet of their (birth) mother. Eating nuts
during pregnancy has also been shown to reduce nut allergies in
children.

Well, I was hoping that would be true, and gorged on Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, and every other yummilicious cuisine I could whilst I had my little bun in the oven. Alas! He’s one of the pickiest eaters I know! At eight his palette is just beginning to broaden (he will now eat plain pizza). He would never have agreed to even try the foods in this video, and if coerced would have gagged and been histronic…

On the other hand, he has no known allergies.

5 Likes

Chortled all the way through.

Still chortling.

2 Likes

It’s not that distressing. Lots of kids (myself included) didn’t start on real geography until 9th grade. Before that it was continents and oceans pretty much.

1 Like

Not bad, but I prefer the fine bros’ _____ react to videos.

Both kids react to and elders react to are hilarious and will change your perception of both kids and elders.

1 Like

Ah brings back memories of the food court between the Petronis towers in KL. Emerging from sushi train with my family I spotted a young European couple uncomfortably eating subway sandwiches.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.