Watch Anthony Bourdain eat at Waffle House and fucking love it

I too for a long time thought he was just playing a character, and I will cop to loving those writers as well…

Thing is, he never broke character. At least as far as I could tell. Reading his books that same passion came across in the same persona. I think he really was what he put himself out there to be. Yes it seemed everything regardless of what he was eating was the greatest thing in his mind at the moment and it almost seems like he played favoritism with whoever he was hosting at the minute, but as time went on, I took it as a graciousness toward his host and learning to appreciate in the unique situation what he had at the detriment of each other experience. I think it was a form of kindness and humble appreciation for the minute he developed. It was very close at times to pretending but I think it was genuine.

This is why I liked No Reservations the most- there was no pretension at all he just seemed to be his grizzled self enjoying things. He opined on the beauty of the darkness he sometimes came across in the world but he found a way to celebrate no matter where he was and find common ground.

Very few people can be that jaded and yet still find empathy and understanding.

He was a unique guy.

To me it always came across as such. It wouldn’t matter if a host made him a sandwich or an elaborate meal. As long as it was genuine and thoughtfully made Bourdain always made sure to show the host that he was enjoying the shit out of it. Did it matter if it was the best thing he had ever eaten? I don’t think so, it was in that moment in time he truly present and enjoying the meal. I think some people perceive it as disingenuous but i didn’t see it that way.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.