Watch: Apple Watch now has cool "assistive touch" functions for people with limb differences

Originally published at: Watch: Apple Watch now has cool "assistive touch" functions for people with limb differences | Boing Boing

1 Like

Cool, that could be useful for everyone, when it gets released. 9To5Mac says “Apple does not provide a specific release date for these new features.”

1 Like

Very, very cool. I’ve always admired how proactive Apple has been in the assistive technology space. While MacinTalk wasn’t developed by Apple and was mainly known as the show-stopper in the original Mac reveal, it shipped with the hardware and kicked off a long history of assistive technology built into Macs. My best friend growing up was mostly blind and had all manner of assistive tech that was super helpful, but clunky and non-portable. When I got my first Mac ca. 2005, I was blown away by the thoughtfulness baked into the settings and recognized how a lot of the features were directly inspired by the tech I saw my buddy use. Every time Apple rolls out a new feature set like this I get pretty misty thinking of all of the little JJ’s this is helping. :pleading_face:

6 Likes

Apple is about the only web company that I would buy a bodycam from, for privacy reasons. It will be cool when they make one that will translate sign language.

While I have gloves that have the capacitive touch parts on them, they’re knit gloves, and not quite appropriate for the colder days here in Metro Denver. This would really help during those time, or perhaps, when my hands are full.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.