Watch baby protect her sister from clean-shaven dad

Originally published at: Watch baby protect her sister from clean-shaven dad | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“You shall not pass, strange smooth Balrog!”

16 Likes

27 Likes

For whatever reason, when I shave nobody even notices. I’ll have a 4 inch beard, shave it off and people will ask, “Did you get a haircut?”.

11 Likes

I used to have the same problem. I’d fluctuate between a full beard and clean shaven and no one ever seemed to notice.

Now that I haven’t been completely beardless for the better part of a decade, though, people notice more.

6 Likes

Whoa. If he lets his hair grow again, letting the kids watch the “transformation” might keep them from getting so scared. :thinking:

5 Likes

My dad used to have a beard (back before I was born). He said when he shaved it off, people’s reactions fell into three categories: 1) some people didn’t notice at all, 2) some people knew something was different but couldn’t figure out what it was, and 3) some people didn’t recognize him at all. But nobody said “oh, you shaved off your beard!”

8 Likes

That’s precisely what I thought when I saw the video: “Wait! It’s a trap!”

2 Likes

My heart is melting. That was so beautiful. Was not instinct, but selfless love and courage at unknown consequence. Children frequently remind me of everything I love about humans. And the girls are really the strong ones.

7 Likes

Letting them watch him while he shaves it off would probably help too…

8 Likes

Meanwhile, my daughter constantly tells me I need to shave and will only give me a kiss within about a five minute window after a super smooth shave before telling me I’m too scratchy again.

3 Likes

My mother loved to tell the tale of me being scared of my dad after shaving off his moustache, so I’m not surprised if he had a full beard. Poor wee girls!

4 Likes

Opposite here. Daughter refuses to let me cut the beard, which has gotten quite voluminous during the Plague Times. In fact, it’s commonly known to be “her” beard.

Wife is quite put out. She wants the beard close and trim.

At Christmas, we had “The Compromise Cut”.

2 Likes

The problem is, that transition is so slow you hardly notice. Then all of a sudden, bam, it’s gone. I only spent vacations with my dad growing up, and I remember even into my teens if he shaved off his beard/mustache while I was visiting it made me really nervous until I got used to the new look.

That is a brilliant idea. I think that would totally work.

Also, it’s touching seeing the one baby protect the other, and I know they’re fine, but publicly posting videos of children in distress while the caretakers are laughing in the background will never not feel a little icky to me.

5 Likes

Sorry, I was vague. The shaving is what I meant by “transformation.” :laughing:

4 Likes

They may come to accept, even love, this strange new interloper, but in the back of their minds they will always wonder what happened to their true father.

2 Likes

That would seem to indicate that children are more observant than adults. Why is that? What do we lose?

TRANS

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.