Infographic: pubic hair removal practices of college students

[Read the post]

I got a flash exploit when I went to this page: one of your advertisers is serving an attack. Iā€™m sure no-one else has seen it because Iā€™m probably the only person reading Boing Boing stupid enough to not have an ad-blockerā€¦

5 Likes

Proof that heavy advertising from a young age shapes expectations in adulthood.

18 Likes

Pics or it didnā€™t happen.

8 Likes

Not so much an ā€œad blockerā€ issue but rather a 3d party scripting issue.

Ads are OK, I want BB to get paid, unvetted and unfettered 3d party scripting for those ads? Not so much.

4 Likes

Ahemā€¦

17 Likes

True, but shaving pubic hair is not a new thing at all. It may, uhm, wax and wane in popularity, but modern marketing did not invent it.

19 Likes

Too much time on their hands is my conclusion.

3 Likes

Only 0.7 percent of men share myā€¦ friendā€™sā€¦ fetish? Well that certainly makesā€¦ my friendā€¦ seem a little weirder.

10 Likes

They didnā€™t list my reason, which is simply to maintain a ready supply of single hairs to deposit on public restroom toilet seats across the country. You may have seen my work.

25 Likes

The problem with shaving bareā€”besides the prepubescent look, which always squicks me out a littleā€”is that when those hairs start growing back, youā€™re in for some rough sex.

Trimmed is a nice middle ground, because you still get that skin-to-skin contact but look like, ya know, an adult.

18 Likes
2 Likes

Hereā€™s the thing from my perspective: if you take the time to groom above the neck, why would you not do at least some of the same below the neck? That is, why not at least be consistent? Why would someone only want to look neat from the neck up?

1 Like

Iā€™m almost certain there was a MAS*H episode where Hawkeye replaces Frankā€™s shampoo with glue, causing Frank to run into the mess tent with his hands covered with hair. Hawkeye drily says, ā€œYouā€™ve got to stop doing that, Frank.ā€

For some reason though Google is failing me.

12 Likes

If there wasnā€™t, there certainly should have been.

9 Likes

I donā€™t care about the findings, but this data representation is horrible:

The colors donā€™t relate to each other at all. I canā€™t look at the top chart, see that the red women at the top are ā€œTypically hair-freeā€, and easily compare that to the red men at the bottom.

Further, itā€™s not clear why there are six rows of women and five rows of men, representing a 55/45% split. In the data, 60% were women. Does it have to do with rounding the percentages? And it again ruins the ability to compare: if one row of women shave and one row of men shave, does that mean that a greater percentage of men shave?

A little representational consistency is all I askā€¦

38 Likes

Because, for the most part, the rest of the body is covered, except in private?

I mean, when Iā€™m outside of my own house (or swimming), the only parts of my body that are visible that arenā€™t above the neck are (usually) my hands, (sometimes) my forearms, and (rarely) my lower legs.

Other than trimming my fingernails, why should I bother to do much grooming below the neck, when the results will never be seen?

3 Likes

I saw that, too. It looks like both of them assign the first colour to the most common answer, the second colour to the next most common answer, and so on down the list.

I agree that it would have made more sense to assign the same colour to the same answer for both men and women.

1 Like

How about those of us who really donā€™t care what other people, including our partners, do with their own bodies? Oddly enough, however, when Iā€™m presenting as more female, I do tend to remove body hair ā€¦ well, everything from the neck down. (Itā€™s not that I expect women to do this, itā€™s that I personally feel more feminine when I do. Yeah, Iā€™ve had to process that one more than a little to wrap my brain around it.)

Then thereā€™s this ā€¦

The hell, you say? Iā€™ve always found itā€™s a lot more work to keep bare.

(Iā€™m a day early for TMI Tuesday, arenā€™t I?)

12 Likes

The same reason you donā€™t wear threadbare underwear and donā€™t let your toenails go all Howard Hughes? ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

1 Like