WATCH: Beatnik in a fallout shelter breaks orphan's cigar box guitar (1964)

[Permalink]

1 Like

I’m glad the article summarizes the events in the film - I was too afraid to watch after the opening warning text, since I’m not a Trained Shelter Management Instructor.

6 Likes

Charlene: What’s with him?

Joanne: He says he’s a protest cat.

Maynard G. Krebs: Yeah, that’s right! I’m protestin’, cats all over the world are protestin’, My whole social group is, like, protestin’! We’re angry young men, and we’re all protestin’!

Charlene: And what is it that you angry young men are so angry about?

Maynard G. Krebs: I dunno… and that’s why I’m such an angry young man!

4 Likes

I was surprised that the army went with casting an African-American as the shelter science officer(geiger counter dude) back in '64. Thanks for this, I have a sick fascination with nukewar fiction having grown up toward the end of the cold war.

3 Likes

This film could easily get the MST3K treatment, but I love it that the article approaches it without any sense of irony. There’s good reason for this film to occupy a special place in Mr. Hartzer’s heart. The fact that it was submitted at Cannes is just icing on the cake.

2 Likes

You can get an certificate online from any reputable Shelter Management Training School.

And from some less reputable ones.

If you really want a surrealistic experience, turn the volume down a bit and turn on the closed captioning…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.