Watch: bicyclist regrets entering a train tunnel

Some excellent points. I didnt consider the air pressure issue at all: my tunnel game is very weak. The only thing I’ve worked out so far: keep the bike ahead of you (if the train is approaching from rear), so if the train catches on the bike, it doesnt scoop you up as well.

One of the most amazing things about this video is that they cyclists weren’t just stupid enough to do it in the first place, they were also the ones who recorded and shared the video. If I ever did something so mind-bogglingly dumb (and criminal) I’d do my best to make sure nobody else ever found out about it.

I think I was in high school when there was an incident involving a senior police detective who was among a group of officers inspecting a crime scene near the railroad tracks one city over. When a train was coming, most people cleared the tracks as quickly as possible but he nonchalantly stepped away at the last second, probably hoping to impress his peers as a cool-headed badass who wasn’t afraid of no locomotive.

What he hadn’t accounted for was that if you are standing inches away from such a massive object as it rushes by the air pressure can pull you right back into it. He died almost instantly. And that was outside in the open air. I wouldn’t want to repeat the experiment pressed against the wall of a tunnel.

12 Likes

That is also important in the probably more likely scenario of a car stalled on a railroad crossing. Run along the track towards the train.

1 Like

Typical entitled engineers. Share the tracks people. :foot::foot::foot:It’s the law.

I like watching some of the train videos people have uploaded during COVID. One thing I have noted is that many tunnels had alcoves that will accommodate a maintenance worker if they should be unable to get out of the tunnel before a train passes. Some tunnels have markings on the walls that indicate how far it is to the next alcove.

9 Likes

Choo choo!!!

Also, riding a flatbed train at night can get cold in summer and worse in the other seasons.

2 Likes

They’re kinda committed to that carriage configuration, huh?

The “tube” lines of the London Underground do use very different rolling stock than the sub-surface lines.

2 Likes

Surprisingly lethal disease, that one.

4 Likes

regrets entering a train tunnel

5 Likes

Ah. Just that I recall when they went to a new generation of carriages once in NSW they apparently had not reckoned on the platforms, with some being a 10 inch step up to the new train. I never gave the underpasses much thought until I saw your picture.

when there were no way to pass… another train
early history reminds us…

Didn’t they ever watch The Finishing Line? The Great Tunnel walk starts ad 14 minutes in.

Watch The Finishing Line online - BFI Player

Another selection from the 1970s “This was meant for kids!?” collection.

2 Likes

“Surprisingly”…?

… /s

If ya was following train tracks…

Interesting that for the rig that attaches to the rails they go with skateboard wheels on top of the rails and others on the inside of the rails, instead of using conical wheels like a train does.

I guess it’s many times cheaper to build it like that, since it’s just off-the-shelf-wheels, but I wonder how much gets lost to fiction by the inside wheels rubbing against the tracks.

2 Likes

They make it up as they go along, these rig designers.

2 Likes

Yeah, but a video would probably help the Coroner determine the time & cause of your demise.
These guys weren’t thinking that far ahead… or at all, apparently.