Watch: bicyclist regrets entering a train tunnel

Originally published at: Watch: bicyclist regrets entering a train tunnel | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Did that person running still have his bike at the end? :thinking:

14 Likes

These geniuses are strong contenders for the Darwin Awards, during a year with an unusually large number of competitors.

29 Likes

“Mistakes were made.”

20 Likes

Except when it is:

2 Likes

TRAIN!!

37 Likes

They forgot not to do that.

9 Likes
6 Likes

One time I had to walk across a disused train trestle while hunting. Half way through I had the thought about “What if there was a train on this track?”

7 Likes

Yeah; bad idea…

9 Likes

I remember hearing from a freight hopper that tunnels can be brutal, if you’re in an open car the smoke from the engine can overwhelm you.

9 Likes

“no clearance” are words to make you pause.

8 Likes

OGa5Sdd

8 Likes

OH, I also hate heights and could see the river/creek below through the slats.

3 Likes

That light at the end of the tunnel IS the oncoming train!

4 Likes

Would they survive if they pressed their bodies flush against the wall? Is side clearance less than 9 inches? (Mr. Google doesnt seem to be much help.)

1 Like

Yes there’s enough room to stand but the hook that picks up the mail bags will take your spleen out.

2 Likes

If you’re going to do dumb shit like this, at least get the right equipment. (Which is NOT what is shown in the first frame of the video below.)

2 Likes

There might be, but i wouldn’t want to risk it. Making the tunnel bigger is EXPENSIVE so they often aren’t designed to have enough room for people. There is some clearance because otherwise the train would have to push all the air in the tunnel out ahead of it. But that also means that there is considerable air pressure and turbulence within the tiny clearance that is left. It would be easy to lose your balance and hit one of the grab rails on a car (BE wagon) and that would be BAD. Your best chance is probably to lie down next to the track. I would be curious to see whether the bike that he threw down there survived.

Sometimes there really isn’t any room.

11 Likes

Share the track!

3 Likes