Watch breaching humpback whale land on tourist boat that was likely annoying it

Originally published at: Watch breaching humpback whale land on tourist boat that was likely annoying it | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Years ago I worked on a whale watch boat. We took harassment of the whales VERY seriously. Extremely uncool to crowd a whale, which in U.S. waters is a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 - you stop the boat at an appropriate distance, and if the whale is willing, it will come to you. That said, I doubt this whale intended to attack the boat, even if it was crowding. I’ve never heard of an aggressive humpback. Most likely this was an accident.

I just hope this one was not injured by the impact.

19 Likes

“From Hell’s heart, I stab at thee; For hate’s sake, I spit my last breath at thee.”

12 Likes

…….is this not how the rest of you let your partner know that it’s time to do the do?

No? Anyone? Bueller… Bueller? beaches himself on an Alaskan shore in an attempt at romance

2 Likes

Ok, so that boat was serving krill for lunch. If the whale was guilty of anything, it was cutting the buffet line.

3 Likes

Me, too.
Watching that video made me think, “oh, that poor whale!”
There are so many boats out there…:disappointed:
They hadn’t even left it enough room to safely breach, it looked like.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.