Watch bullet trains powering through snow in Japan

Originally published at: Watch bullet trains powering through snow in Japan | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The 9am Snow Piercer to Winnipeg. The dining car is now open.

24 Likes

Yeah I was pretty disappointed. Not a bit of heavy snow in that video.

3 Likes

The video had me thinking about the the original Star Trek opening credits, with the Enterprise repeatedly zooming past.

8 Likes

This is the sort of thing I was hoping to see more of:

21 Likes

That is effing awesome. It reminds me of the end of Silver Streak.

10 Likes

the lady is too busy on her phone to notice…

1 Like

waits for all the Canadians to stop laughing

This is what railroading in real snow looks like.

Roger’s Pass, 2014:

15 Likes

Le Transperceniege!

2 Likes

Pretty sure she’s busy doing the same thing everyone else on the platform is doing – taking video of the incoming train. Her sin is vertical video.

7 Likes

“Advance to Collision Speed!”

Edit for: Over here, in the UK, the wrong kind of leaves on the tracks can shut down the rail network :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

But was she OK?

1 Like

…she should have been holding the phone in the air… just so

A little better than the UK, where the lightest dusting causes chaos across the country and the spokespeople have to apologetically explain that all the expensive weatherization programs turned out not to help because it was “the wrong kind of snow” (actual phrase used).

6 Likes

Britain, the land of bad trains…

I’ll stack the terrible-ness of US passenger rail service against any nation anywhere. Nonetheless, here’s how they clear snow on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR in Colorado and New Mexico…quite a beautiful video if you like trains. This equipment is all nearing 100 years old, and people lovingly restore it to full operating capability, and shovel the coal into the fireboxes by hand.

8 Likes

It’s a good thing youtube videos like this didn’t exist when I was young. Because we would have piled extra snow on the tracks to see a bigger Whoompf!

4 Likes

Band name?

5 Likes

Canada is the only G7 country that doesn’t have any bullet trains. Not that much to laugh about.

Touché, I guess? Not sure what your point is.

2 Likes

Wait, the US has a bullet train?

6 Likes