Watch: cartoon about man's withdrawal from his addiction to Coca Cola

I like how it’s "He’s addicted to Coca-Cola"
And yet coffee addicts get all defensive about their drug when people say “Hey, coffee has the same stuff in larger amounts” Then they’re they’re all defensive like “MY COFFEE DOESN’T COUNT BECAUSE IT"S NOT CORPORATE COCO COLA AND YOU CAN"T MEASURE IT CORRECTLY…and BUT…BUT SUGAR!”

2 Likes

The guy’s dad said god was a teddy bear that drank Coke and lifted weights?

2 Likes

He quit cold turkey

There’s your mistake, son. Quitting cold turkey is for car crashes and bullet wounds. Everything else in life needs to be weaned.

3 Likes

People hear 8 sodas a day and freak out, but there’s no pressure (self- or social) to quit coffee if you drink 2 cups a day. Or even 10 cups a day, really.

Also, those poor fools who tried to quit a major coffee habit cold turkey died instantly, and thus couldn’t tell the tale or make these videos.

4 Likes

I bet you would have been fine going 100% -> 10% -> 0, provided the 10% was long enough. At 10%, you’d likely notice the shortage, but you wouldn’t go full Trainspotting.

I should concede that I have no training in medicine or pharmacology, and indeed no relevant expertise at all aside from my long-term caffeine habits and such. Or is that even necessary in a chat room, where everybody makes shit up and then confidently lays it out like Gospel?

3 Likes

It’s an addiction and tapering off doesn’t work for all people. When I stopped with Coke and smoking (separate from each other), I just stopped. Same with an uncle for nicotine. I’ve seen others trying to cut consumption back gradually and it never worked for them.

Just to make clear: that’s a “some people” approach. I think it’s worth a try, as it’s the fastest, but it’s not a feat of moral strength and willpower, just the way the our chemistry works. Otoh my body clings to its overweight like hell once I reached a certain weight. I also had stop drinking coke twice. A decade later I went to the US and there was literally nothing to drink for me. I don’t drink any beers, sodas, etc and the water tasted horribly, both from the taps and the large containers. So coke it was.

1 Like

There is a massive difference between drinking half a dozen cups of coffee a day and drinking 8 cokes or more. I used to drink that much coffee, but a long time ago. Now I have 2 or 3 in the morning only. I knew a guy that drank a 12 pack of coke a day and when he stopped and made a slight change in his eating habits, he dropped weight so fast it was shocking.

1 Like

I used to drink coffee from the time I woke up until I went to bed. I drank at least two pots of coffee a day. So that’s about 24 6oz “cups” of coffee per day. I tried to taper off, and was unsuccessful. I am also a recovering alcoholic, and after years of trying to taper off on that, found cold turkey was the only thing that would work for me. So I did the same with the coffee. Holy shit, that was a nightmarish 3 days. I was basically nonfunctional for 3 days. And then … I was fine. I don’t know why this guy’s withdrawal lasted weeks. Maybe the combination of the sugar, or just his physiology, but mine was done in 3 days. I now drink coffee again, but never more than 3 cups a day, and usually just 2.

2 Likes

Thanks! We’re starting a theme rewrite next week (not redesign, dont worry), and we’ll add this to the needed fixes list.

My bet’s on physiology. Stopping coke was the same for me: Just stopping and there it was. (Though I drank Coke light, no sugars, just artifical sweeteners. The same with smoking. I did that over a year, at least half a pack a day, sometimes a pack. I then simply stopped, with no withdrawal symptoms. Human chemistry is incredibly varied. If there are Hyacinthus orientali in a room, even a large living room, I will notice because I get a very specific headache (both in how it feels and where is is seemingly located) quite a bit before I can smell it. The only remedy is to either remove the plant or me.

1 Like

I smoked for a long time, but I never smoked a lot. I still had a lot of trouble quitting. I probably quit 20 different times over the years for anywhere from a month to almost a year, but kept picking it back up. I never really had withdrawal, though, probably because I never smoked that much. By the time I quit for good a year and a half ago, I was only smoking a few cigs on the weekend. 5 total, maybe. Now quitting alcohol was a whole different ballgame. I was seriously addicted, a daily blackout drinker for the last year or two I drank. That withdrawal … I can’t even describe. Combine what this guy shows in this video with nearly nonstop vomiting (dry heaves for 24 hours once my stomach was empty) with a seriously amped up central nervous system and uncontrollable shaking. I found out later seizures are not uncommon with alcohol withdrawal. I didn’t have a seizure, thankfully, but it was an experience I never wish to repeat, and would not wish on my worst enemy.

2 Likes

I didn’t quit intentionally, I just stopped buying it due to economic circumstances. I was not aware of the consequences until I was already halfway through the withdrawal symptoms. Once I realized what was happening, I powered through.

Ah well, what’s past is prologue.

“Strong evidence shows that consumption of coffee within the moderate range (3 to 5 cups per day or up to 400 milligrams per day caffeine) is not associated with increased long-term health risks among healthy individuals.”

Some googling suggests that (regular) Coke has about 34mg of caffeine in a 12oz, so that makes around 280mg of caffeine a day. Perhaps he is abnormally susceptible of caffeine? or maybe was drinking “Coke” like a southerner, where it could be almost any carbonated drink?

It is enough to cause withdrawal… I know cause been there done that on 2 cokes and a 12oz cup or two of coffee a day. Headaches that made me want to go into a dark room and suffer a little less. If this guy was a little more sensitive to the intake, yep I believe it. Normally it lasts about 3 days. I picked 3 weeks of cutting down my intake.

That seems likely, but the original symptoms seem fairly atypical for that level of caffeine.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.