Watch - chess rematch between champion Alexandra Botez and NYC's famous chess hustler "Russian Paul"

Originally published at: Watch – chess rematch between champion Alexandra Botez and NYC's famous chess hustler "Russian Paul" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Street games? So if you start losing you just punch the other person in the face and run away?

“In street chess, sometimes you take the pawn, and some times the pawn takes you.”

4 Likes

She’s giving better than she gets in the speed and trash talk the hustlers use to (in her accurate words) win without knowing what’s going on. It’s always a pleasure to watch true skill and talent beat bluster.

3 Likes

Good for converting the board shot to usable notation:

https://www.tetralark.com/ChessboardFenTensorflowJs/

5 Likes

pardon my lame chess skills, but how did that end? They both seemed to see the end, and did not make the final moves –– so I’m clueless.

3 Likes

He can’t move. If he takes her pawn with his rook, he will lose his rook and she will have the clear advantage. If he doesn’t do that, she gets the chance to put him in check with her rook and lose it, but she will get her queen back with her pawn. Game is over.

11 Likes

Thank you for explaining the ending.

I’ve got to say that, though out the video, I was cringing, every time they touched their opponent’s pieces and then touched their faces. :scream: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :skull:

6 Likes

That’s funny! I had the same reaction. She especially would touch her face and then the piece. Welcome to post-pandemic trauma! :wink:

3 Likes

She put Paul into some pretty shit, man.

2 Likes

Yeah, really pretty shit, man. :alien:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.