Watch: Cigarette addict caught smoking in plane bathroom threatens to kill everyone on board

Personally, I’d favour something that is unlikely to jeopardize the integrity of the fuselage. Apparently Air Marshals are equipped with .357 Sig P229.

1 Like

Subsonic rounds, and controlled short bursts, actually hitting the target. No “hosing”.
Also, fuselages are quite robust.

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

For confined spaces, and unlikely to penetrate the pressure hull, why not give a flamethrower a try?

2 Likes

I like your style.

1 Like

She’s clearly nuts. I like the hapless Brit in front of her holding up his ipad in a weakly defensive gesture.

The technical term for what happened to her is “decompensate”. She has some sort of psychosis like bipolar disorder and the lack of cigarettes or even the flying circumstance just tipped her over the edge. Huge numbers of the mentally ill self-medicate with cigarettes, among other drugs.

2 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, the new screening policy should be something like: hold cigarette under persons nose until they inhale and watch reaction. In true TSA fashion, they could apply it to persons aged 2 and older.

1 Like

I can see a chronic smoker (trying not to give anything away) get all weirdly stiff, wide-eyed, and grinning madly: MUST! NOT! REACT!

A technical quibble: one can be suffering mania without experiencing psychosis. And one can suffer psychosis without having bipolar disorder (see: unipolar depression with psychotic features).

A more general quibble: psychosis is not an inherently violent/aggressive state of mind, as is often portrayed in (bad) fiction. I saw psychosis up close when I lived with a friend who would later be diagnosed BPII with psychotic features. She wasn’t aggressive, though she would press her fingers against your temples in order to better see your aura.

4 Likes

True monopolar mania is much rarer than bipolar, and I said “some sort of psychosis like bipolar disorder”. My wife is the mental health pro, but after 23 years of hearing about her days I’ve picked up a lot. In no way did I imply psychosis=violence. But crazy & violent often = psychosis. At my wife’s clinic there’s plenty of calm, charming, but delusional patients, and the occasional one that they need to call security and an ambulance for.

1 Like

Yep, and my latter quibble–and I should’ve clarified this in my post–wasn’t meant as criticism of your comments. I don’t feel you suggested psychosis is inherently violent. It’s just that the tone of these thread discussions often seems to reflect this popular notion.

Inpatient mental health care is tough. Your wife has my respect and admiration. While in nursing school, I thought about pursuing an MSN in psychiatric nursing. Through my discussions with those who practiced it, I learned it takes a special type of person to do that kind of work as a career. I concluded I was not among them.

2 Likes

She works outpatient, but it all still applies. I could never do it. The outpatient clinic is relatively easy, some of her past jobs were home visits for discharged inpatients and formerly homeless families. She would fearlessly walk into NYC projects alone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.