Watch: Clueless driver cuts off bike on freeway, keeps going when man lands on car

I spose… but if there’s anything that a defensive driving course drills into one, it’s “don’t depend on other people honoring your rights”. Surviving vs “being in the right” can and do collide all the time on the road, and for a biker, it’s more often a death sentence.

8 Likes

Anyone else notice the Philly Eagles bus go by? I’m confused as to is this actually in Los Angeles to which why is that bus there or is it not in LA at all?

Reality is the video itself doesn’t seem conclusive to me that the biker could have stopped in Time. I don’t think he could have. That driver switched lanes really quickly and illegally too.

Stopping hard on a motorcycle is a good way to lock up the brakes, regardless.

Most of your stopping power is in the front. Not 60/40 but like 90/10.

The rear brake adds instability and doesn’t slow the bike much, on most bikes. The HD might have a rear drum, and then the rear brake does next to nothing – but is useful for adding drag in turns. If the bike has ABS, he sure didn’t show us.

Had the cyclist mashed the rear brake and not hit the front, the bike would likely have fish tailed. It appears to me he goes almost full tilt into the back lid of that car.

I rarely use the rear on my 1976 BMW or my 2013 Triumph.

2 Likes

I feel like i sensed some deceleration going on. Maybe not as much as would have been ideal in that situation, but some.

Always a good call. I’ve been thinking about taking one of the Lee Parks courses, cause I kinda think Lee Parks is cool.

1 Like

Surprised no one saw the elephant in the room. Quite telling that the driver has his phone on his lap. Distracted much?

2 Likes

Illinois license plate

As much as I agree the car driver was clueless before the accident, would you really want him to decelerate much more quickly after the accident?

3 Likes

Something my MSF instructor said has always stuck with me: Don’t make it your goal to have “I had the right of way” chiseled onto your tombstone.

9 Likes

Locking your brakes on a motorcycle is double plus ungood. In a car, you just end up in an uncontrolled slide. On a bike you generally do a head over first and are then sliding on the pavement, possibly with a big, heavy motorcycle sliding after you… But I agree, it looks like more braking would have been possible…

4 Likes

I confess I don’t know a lot about motorcycles. On bicycles I know I could lock up a rear tire.

Somebody explained to me why locking up the rear tire was almost as bad, but despite taking physics in college, I didn’t understand the dynamics…

Points deducted for flubbing the landing. This guy shows how it’s done:

22 Likes

Damn! I expected him to shoot webbing and swing up on to one of the lamp posts.

9 Likes

Stuntman of the year award goes to!

1 Like

Yup. Im sure something exactly like this was a scenario in my high school’s simulator rig.

The best practice for braking on a motorcycle is pretty simple: If you lock the front, immediately release and re-apply. If you lock the rear, keep it locked until you come to a stop. That’s how it’s taught in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s basic and advanced rider courses and how it’s taught in on-track riding courses.

Given that, with modern tire compounds you’ll be doing an endo before locking the front on dry pavement. Search for “stoppies” on Youtube for countless examples.

It doesn’t appear that this rider came close to maximum braking before impact. Hard to tell from video but the collision seems avoidable if he had. Still, the driver is a clueless idiot of the type that kills motorcycle riders far too often.

3 Likes

Christ, what a carsehole…
Clueless driver crossed illegally into the HOV lane from 2 lanes over…I can see how the motorcyclist found it hard to react in time. He was probably watching the minivan and the sedan, not expecting a surprise attack.

1 Like

You can tell his speed by counting the white stripes. Those are 10 feet long with 30 feet separation. In the first 10 seconds of video, he passes 24 of them – i.e. 96 feet per second (65 mph).

9 Likes

What are you going to believe, Boing Boing or your lying eyes?

1 Like