Watch: deranged tow truck driver attempts to hook moving car in San Francisco

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/15/watch-deranged-tow-truck-driver-attempts-to-hook-moving-car-in-san-francisco.html

6 Likes

It’s no surprise Specialty Towing resorted to sleazy tactics like this.

It’s that kind of industry, attracting thugs and ripoff artists.

16 Likes

Season 2 GIF by Twin Peaks

6 Likes

I love how in the video there’s a driverless car in the foreground basically saying “I’m outta here!” and takes off.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 1.48.51 PM

10 Likes
18 Likes

Always great to have a non-xitter link. Thanks

Also…

What The Hell Seriously GIF by Travis

16 Likes

“…while cops idly sit by” So the debarment order simply prohibits them from applying for city towing contracts - it does not prevent them from executing tows within the city, validly or not; picked that up from a 30sec scan of the order

7 Likes

does that truck even have plates!? i looked in the video, and couldn’t see any.

( eta: that waymo probably has a pretty good of the plates, if any, and the driver. wonder how long they keep their video )

3 Likes

Seems like this could be classified as either fraud or auto theft – and the drivers and/or owners put in jail, doesn’t it? Is there any reason why that hasn’t been done?

11 Likes

I’d push charges of attempted kidnapping.

If I were in charge. Which I’m not.

23 Likes

Ya got it wrong, bub, that was the other Specialty Towing.

3 Likes

Well shoot, they have to make up the lost business somehow.

I wonder if the tow truck driver was going after the Waymo, got confused, and accidentally tried to pick up the other car. Because I don’t see how they thought this was going to work for them, if they were deliberately doing this - I mean, you grab the car and then what? The people inside are calling 911 (and could very well have video of you illegally picking up the car), and will drive off at the first opportunity. It’s hard to extort money from them in that circumstance. It’s pretty weird.

7 Likes

I would have said kidnapping as well.

4 Likes

It’s also very clearly a hit and run.
He’s smashing into their car with his truck. I imagine he can lift it up once its in far enough and keep the front wheels from being able to propel the car.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.