Watch Disney's stunt flying 'Spiderman' animatronic catastrophically fail

Originally published at: Watch Disney's stunt flying 'Spiderman' animatronic catastrophically fail | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Given how many tourists don’t even realize that’s a robot flying through the air instead of a live stunt actor (they pull a switcheroo during the show) I wonder if the cast members scrambled to clarify that no one had actually been hurt.

15 Likes

I was really thinking this was a CGI fake like that one somebody did in January, but apparently not.

Looks like he didn’t separate from the launch cable at the right time. It was still connected when he contacted the wall structure.

They thought ahead on that and had some “B-show” audio playing even as the stunt went wrong. While Spidey was still airborne he says “Sharon! Airbags please!!” (which is not the normal dialogue) and the AI voice cheerfully responds “the W.E.B. facility is not equipped with airbags.” just after impact.

9 Likes

Almost as fun as watching cat fails.

catfail5

10 Likes

This reminds me of the sad death of Bugman at the cruel whippers of Windshield.

1 Like

5 Likes

It’s just like Spiderman The Musical but without the real life injuries or deaths.

3 Likes

Take a couple aspirin, Spidey. That’ll buff right out.

1 Like

This is why so many actors have played Peter Parker in the last 20 years.

9 Likes

Someone better put Spidey in rice like Uncle Ben

Still, if I hadn’t known it was a robot I might think that they were using that audio to cover up a catastrophic injury rather than a mere mechanical failure.

1 Like

kids especially.

heck, they might be sad even about the robot. ( i am. poor guy. )

2 Likes

Well they do another switcheroo with the human actor seconds after the landing (successful or otherwise) so I imagine that anyone who fell for the first switch would also fall for the second one and be relieved to see he was ok.

4 Likes

yeah, and truly we see people on tv and in movies surviving all sorts of ridiculous things with nary a scratch. i think when something is part of a show our understanding of what is real and isn’t gets a blurry.

even kids once they’re of a certain age know it’s all make-believe. which is probably more confusing in those rare cases where it turns out it wasn’t

1 Like

How often does that thing fail, because I’ve seen it mess up more than once, though never that badly.|

ETA - NVM - it looks like what I saw before was CGI. Doh.

This one?

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw up above someone linked to an article saying it was fake.

I think I can’t trust anything on the internet any more. :confused:

Neat to see how it was made!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.