Watch DUNE's Denis Villeneuve break down his approach to the Gom Jabbar scene

Originally published at: Watch DUNE's Denis Villeneuve break down his approach to the Gom Jabbar scene | Boing Boing

11 Likes

19 Likes

Supposedly during the production and editing of the 1984 Dune, David Lynch was constantly trying to tamp down the lighting, tamp down the color, making it more dark, more oppressive. At the same time, DeLaurentiis was doing his level best to completely counteract that directive. And apparently DiLaurentiis “won”, because if you re-watch Lynch’s work with this in mind, it’s comically over-lit. It’s lit better than a 3-camera Burbank-made sitcom. Given this, I wonder if Lynch would like Villeneuve’s version, this aspect of it anyway, better than Lynch likes his own.

12 Likes

The interesting bit of this scene in Dune for me is that Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohaim, Paul’s maternal grandmother, is prepared to kill Paul if he fails the test.

9 Likes

Considering Lynch tried to have his name removed from the 1984 adaptation, that may not be a high bar to clear.

5 Likes

i can’t wait to see this movie again. it blew me away, and he’s right – the gom jabbar scene is perfection.

7 Likes

And Paul’s sister killed her grandfather.

The Aristocrats!

13 Likes

I think since he wouldn’t have proved he was human, meh. I mean for a witch manipulating breeding stock over centuries, whats one more ore less. He’s an abomination if he fails the test. But in the book, you see it from her POV too.

Or do I mis-remember.

And Lady Jessica was her second try with the Baron. She killed the first.

3 Likes

You’ve never been to New Jersey…

2 Likes

Are we supposed to take the Brian Herbert books as canon, now? I guess they all have “Dune” in the title.

1 Like
5 Likes

Are you sure? I don’t remember Lady Jesica being her daughter. More like her pupil.
I do remember she, Jesica, was of Harkonen stock.

7 Likes

Spoilers, yo!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.