Watch: Elephant charges after father who breaks into zoo enclosure with 2-year-old child for a selfie

Would you say the elephant ate, shot, and left?

1 Like

The elephant was bluffing. If it had meant to do damage, it could have easily yanked the intruder back into the enclosure. Ears out and warning horn was a clear, “GTFO.”

5 Likes

Christ, what an asshole. (Of the “rules don’t apply to me, because I don’t want them to” variety.) I’m tempted to call him an idiot, but the fact is, most people just have no idea how dangerous animals are - they only interact with domesticated and/or trained animals, and their notions about wild animals largely come from watching other people interact with trained animals, from Disney movies and the like. They just have absolutely no clue.

5 Likes

“Hey guys, be sure to like and subscribe. And let me know down in the comments what you want me to do next.”

5 Likes

That fence is electrified, it looked like he got a shock, and it may have caused him to drop his child. I hope she didn’t get a shock as well.

For me, that was the BEST part.

2 Likes

They need one before that for the humans that you can’t climb under.

Though I am surprised an electric fence that keeps elephants in didn’t shock the dad even more. Like knock on their ass.

How much does an elephant charge for a selfie?

2 Likes

Looked to be about 25 feet or so.

5 Likes

They don’t want to cause any serious aftereffects to the elephants, however the electrical charge is enough to discourage them, and it gives a human being an uncomfortable loss of motor control.

As an aside, the very first YouTube video was filmed in front of the old San Diego Zoo Elephant enclosure. The fences were electrified there, too.

1 Like

The elephant chose to spare the man’s life when he fled. Not sure that’s the same thing as “bluffing.”

1 Like

Whoops. I hope you guys didn’t think humans were the first most dangerous animal at the zoo. Though you’d be right.

Let me rephrase: Second most dangerous non-human animal in the zoo, the elephant.

First is the Polar Bear.

1 Like

Priceless classic!
Surprised it hasn’t gotten more likes.

3 Likes

Eh, it’s a low-traffic thread. But I felt the same about @timd’s classic set up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.