Watch: Elephant charges after father who breaks into zoo enclosure with 2-year-old child for a selfie

Originally published at: Watch: Elephant charges after father who breaks into zoo enclosure with 2-year-old child for a selfie | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Second most dangerous animal in the zoo, the elephant…

20 Likes

While picking up his daughter, the elephant has a chance to do some damage

Heh. I don’t think you meant to say that the elephant picked up the daughter. That’s what’s called a “dangling modifier”.

31 Likes

I really hope they throw the book at this idiot.

I’ve been to that exact exhibit many, many times — I lived in San Diego when my daughter was born, and it was her favorite exhibit. So I remember vividly just how close you are to the elephants, how easy it is to see them, and how impressive they are. It’s not like there’s one tiger hiding in the dense foliage.

They also had a show where the keepers would go to great efforts to show how the elephants are trained to present their feet, mouths, etc. for inspection so the staff don’t have to cross into the enclosure with the elephants because they are that dangerous.

20 Likes

That elephant is definitely a better parent than this idiot human.

31 Likes

Just about won a Double Darwin there

7 Likes

Don’t fuck with the wildlife, i’m glad that girl is ok.

13 Likes

Yeah, this is definitely one of those “ruining it for everyone” moments.

11 Likes

the elephant charges toward the man
Charged seems a bit strong. Clearly the elephant was just tidying up its property. It behaved very well.

5 Likes

I love everything about this description, including “warning horn”.

14 Likes

It’s got “after school movie” written all over it. Oh, and take that Dude’s Daddy license away.

11 Likes

What a dick

6 Likes

I saw this on the news and I am like, “WTF is wrong with people??”

Dude was arrested for child endangerment or some such.

7 Likes

I was lucky enough to visit the San Diego zoo about 10 years ago or so, when the new elephant enclosure was under construction (if I’m remembering correctly). That zoo is amazing. I hope this guy didn’t ruin it for everyone by making zoo staff need to reevaluate that accessibility.
Fucking asshole.
And I hope the elephant didn’t hurt itself rubbing it’s head on the fence in ire.
Stoopid humans.

13 Likes

They need an electric fence to keep out the humans…

4 Likes

This is what I like to call “Dancing with Uncle Chuck”. Thats when someone almost wins a Darwin Award, but manage to somehow survive. The question is, will he learn from this experience? :expressionless:

4 Likes

So far.

10 Likes

I don’t have a problem with people removing themselves from the gene pool through their own stupidity, but once they’ve reproduced, it’s a lot more complicated.

3 Likes

Just because you can breed doesn’t always mean you should.

1 Like

Needs more @Carla_Sinclair - It confused me, too, at first, Carla.

2 Likes