Watch Facebook's metaverse musical about Open Enrollment for benefits

Originally published at: Watch Facebook's metaverse musical about Open Enrollment for benefits | Boing Boing

1 Like

Anybody have a mirror? Looks like the link is dead.

ETA: Here we go:

8 Likes

Only Facebook would have the money and shamelessness to celebrate the broken American healthcare system in a musical number.

9 Likes

Right? And sadly despite the fact I do not work for Facebook I am in the tech industry and am intimately familiar with all the crap they are talking about in that video (HDHP, FSA, HSA, wellbeing plans, etc.)

It also seems like Facebook is jumping on the “ever shortening open enrollment window timeframe” bandwagon.

4 Likes

the facebook kool-aid must be really tasty

2 Likes

Wow. How could you turn down a crappy health plan that holds out the possibility of well-being accessories like an Oculus?

Being of what used to be called “retirement age” I served my sentence in the American Workforce before all this HDHP / FSA / HSA bullshit took hold. Reading about these “benefits” online leads me to conclude that they’re all variations on the old “we don’t owe you a goddamn thing, so put your money down on the Healthcare Roulette wheel and good luck to you.” Tacked onto this is, “We’re doing all this for your benefit, but you don’t have to thank us–funneling our profits into shareholders’ pockets instead of wasting it on decent employee healthcare is thanks enough.” Hell, it worked for retirement accounts.

3 Likes

“Finally, I’m working in show-biz, singing and dancing, just as I’ve always dreamed!”
“Great! What’s the gig?”
“… [sobs]”

3 Likes

I keep seeing reports trying to hype the “metaverse” and all I see is VR chat rooms and Second Life, both of which have been around forever, and are permanently limited by their inherent lameness.

I don’t see how emote tracking facial expressions or adding in floppy arm tracking makes any of this better.

3 Likes

For the sake of the employees who need to watch the video, I hope a benefit is included for the recalibration of the ears.

2 Likes

Uhm… while it is the cringe, this really looks like a standard large company enrolment period reminder type video, where the company in question is trying really, really hard to be “cool”, or whatever the kids are calling it these days…

HDHP is really cool… for the employers. They are generally less expensive than a traditional insurance plan. So if the HDHP plan saves the employer $300 a month and the employee has to spend an extra $500 a month in their HSA account, it’s win, win, right? Well, I mean, for the employer and the insurance company. The employee obviously gets screwed, but hey, that’s what employees are for, right?

We need universal healthcare. Stat.

4 Likes

What happened to the rest of those sad-faced avatars’ bodies? They seem to be embedded in the cement of the plaza. Or maybe the cement just grew around them while they were practicing their Super Marionation moves. Creepy any way you look at it.

1 Like

The animation on one of the avatars was unsettling, like the screen was fixed on her eyes, and her head was hanging on a stake, with only her torso and arms moving.

Then it ended with a “high-latency” animated version? Was that intentional? That’s a bad way to handle an avatar with a poor connection. At least give him some ease-in and ease-out inbetweens!

But actually, watching the “high-latency” version, they really should have gone for a stop-motion film-on-twos look (12 frames per second), both for equalizing differences in equipment and for less uncanny-valley, and more forgiving of awkwardness in their arm placement.

2 Likes

I wish I worked for company where employees had so little to do they can put together a cheesy benefits enrollment video.

I’m constantly surprised that my medium sized NGO has better benefits than hospitals and companies like FB that are richer than god.

3 Likes

I once quit a job I really loved because (among other things) we were doing way too much work for Facebook. I was embedded on their teams enough to see how deep this nightmare fuel goes. It made my goddamned teeth hurt.

I have never been happier with my decision than I am now after watching that soulless offense.

3 Likes

I’ve seen worse.

1 Like

HDHP is really cool… for the employers. They are generally less expensive than a traditional insurance plan. So if the HDHP plan saves the employer $300 a month and the employee has to spend an extra $500 a month in their HSA account, it’s win, win, right? Well, I mean, for the employer and the insurance company. The employee obviously gets screwed, but hey, that’s what employees are for, right?

If you’re employer is cool, they’ll also throw in money toward your HSA. My previous employer did that and while we chipped in some too, since it’s all pre-tax contributions, we still overall saved money per month. Plus it meant that we used pre-tax money for all sorts of medical-related stuff, like tylenol or ibuprofen or whatever. If your employer is garbage, then yeah it can suck major.

We need universal healthcare. Stat.

Also yes.

2 Likes

Also, Hi I’m the Carribean-USAnian in this video, and I’ll be cropped out for the rest of this number relentlessly. I’ll be inverted while I’m the speaker. Then none of the other characters gets that treatment. I am so acknowledged [weeps more blood.]

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.