Watch: George Lucas released rare and unseen behind-the-scenes footage from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/16/watch-george-lucas-released-rare-and-unseen-behind-the-scenes-footage-from-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back.html

3 Likes

Empire was the best of the lot IMHO.

9 Likes

Carrie Fisher’s smile at around the 2:30 mark.
I miss her.

17 Likes

I wish I could give this more likes.

1 Like

Me too. She was so beautyfull.

1 Like

The Empire Strikes Back is the reason there is still a Star Wars franchise today. If it hadn’t been as good as the original (as is true with most sequels), Star Wars would be lumped in with Jaws and The Exorcist as a series that started with a bang and then petered out quickly, along with enthusiasm for it. Instead it topped the original film and expanded the universe immensely, inventing enough material to create sequels, prequels, and spin-offs for literal decades. A brand new show with Boba Fett was on my TV as recently as last week!

5 Likes

It’s all been downhill from there.

1 Like

counterpoint: no, it really hasn’t.

2 Likes

That last quote, one sentence, by Hamill neatly ties together all of the accumulated hours of discussions I have ever had when trying to say just that.

1 Like

While we have ups and downs, overall I think ESB is the undisputed overall peak? It was a once in a life time phenomenon.

1 Like

i’d hedge a bit and say yes… so far. i am probably in the minority of original generation of fans who LOVED the Rise of Skywalker, and felt that it was exactly what the franchise needed. it made me super excited to see where things went from there. Episode 9… not as much. but i’m happy that (hopefully) we are DONE with the Skywalker family and can move on to other stories. The Mandalorian has renewed my faith in it, and in the hands of people like Favreau and Filoni, i’m super excited again. the best may be yet to come : )

3 Likes
11 Likes

That’s the one!

:hugs:

4 Likes

dammit! i only saw them once, and i KNEW I’d get them confused. i was determined not to check. serves me right. ANYWAY, i liked eight, nine, not so much. sigh.

Watch: George Lucas released rare and unseen behind-the-scenes footage from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

well which is it, Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back?

1 Like

Yes.

A lot has happened in the last 40 years. Maybe everything started going wrong when Lucas decided to rename the first film to Star Wars: A New Hope in 1981, but I doubt that was the cause.

1 Like

hmm…Reagan took office…lines up pretty well to me

3 Likes

A New Hope is literally the lamest title for anything, ever.

1 Like

29mm9q

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.