Watch H.R. Giger's fantastic home stereo commercial from 1985

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/20/watch-h-r-gigers-stereo-com.html

4 Likes

More background:

I suspect the “evil cherub” motif in one of these sketches inspired Lynch’s own vision of the Harkonnen aesthetic.

5 Likes

Ahhh… the 80’s Japanese tv ad. It doesn’t matter that the commercial has nothing to do with the product, just as long as the product is featured at the end.

8 Likes

Jodorowsky’s never-made adaptation of Dune… how can I cross to the alternative timeline where it was made?
BTW, Chris Foss was commissioned to come up with designs for Jodorowsky’s project, too (IIRC).

1 Like

Check out the documentary Jodorowsky’s Dune!

1 Like

Giger also inspired the overall look and feel of my yard:

1 Like

With a bit of Tarkovsky mixed in as well!

If you haven’t seen this, yr gonna love it. A Korean bank commercial with traditional instruments, break dancers and a DJ doing Pacobel’s Canon.

To be fair I bet that people who live in universes where David Lynch’s Dune was never made probably think that sounds pretty awesome too.

3 Likes

True, true…

3 Likes

There’s a little video shop in LA called Maximum Overdrive that might have a copy, it’s kind of their thing. It’s run by a guy called Kasabian.

1 Like

I love H.R. Giger.
I actually met him in 2009 at the opening of an exposition about his movies design work in the german Film museum here in Frankfurt. What a cool fellow he was, and his swiss german dialect was droll.

Pic is Giger and me.

4 Likes

Unsurprisingly, the big 怪物 in the corner means “monster” (kaibutsu).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.