Watch Harrison Ford's wonderful reaction to David Blaine's impressive card trick

Originally published at: Watch Harrison Ford's wonderful reaction to David Blaine's impressive card trick | Boing Boing

16 Likes

It’s a great reaction, but the first time I saw this I was so sad because he seemed so slow and old, and in my brain he’s always this guy:

23 Likes

Harrison has always ACTED like that guy and then interviews like the guy in the video. The real Harrison Ford is the lowest energy guy I’ve ever seen. This isn’t age. This is just him.

39 Likes

I want to hear the conversation right before this, where cue words are sprinkled that cause HF to think about the nine of hearts.

13 Likes

This makes me happy.

17 Likes

giphy-3

9 Likes

He should have taken it just one step further and folded the card into a unicorn rather than just roll it up.

22 Likes

Reminds me of Ford’s reaction when he mistakenly landed his small plane on a taxiway and was ordered to report to the airport-master (or whatever it’s called) for questioning. Totally chill and rather sheepish about it.

11 Likes

Han Solo would never…

4 Likes

It seems like there are a fair number of stories of Harrison Ford “landing” in non-traditional ways.

3 Likes

. . . would never report to the tower. He’d just steal another plane and take off.

11 Likes

Also happened to grab the orange that was at the very top of the bowl, and as he sliced into it it seemed to open with extreme ease. It’s still a cool trick, that’s not to put David Blaine down… i’ve had a variation of this trick performed for me and it blew my mind.

4 Likes

Yeah, that particular card was planted in the orange and placed specifically with the help of Ford’s spouse/manager/whoever, and suggestive language made him pick it. Oranges and grapefruits are great because A)they have a little void in the center you can press something thin into, and B)everyone is used to cutting them the same way (which is opposite the axis you needed to slice to insert the Macguffin, so the slice isn’t noticed). Penn & Teller did a somewhat similar trick on Conan with real-time sleight of hand: https://youtu.be/WnRlH2fl9jU?t=218

(My favorite part of P&T is watching Teller for the little important things you have to watch 20 times to pick out, he’s incredibly smooth)

9 Likes

LOL that was awesome. Definitely how my dad would respond in that situation and he’s around the same age.

2 Likes

i was kind of wondering because blaine does something with his left hand down in the area of the cards while picking up the knife and turning over its blade. i could imagine he’d palmed a card from the top of the deck.

he certainly didn’t let harrison get anywhere near the whole way searching through the deck, and was already pulling his attention away as harrison got about halfway through.

a presliced fruit could still be a thing maybe because he’s the one who handled it

1 Like

I would imagine this is also his response to interviewers who come to his house as well.

3 Likes

I cheated and did some research on how he did it. Here’s what I read. Obviously spoilers if you don’t want to know. 1. The deck he handed Harrison had only the cards people statistically never pick, several copies of each card. Harrison never mentioned that about the deck. Blaine took a statistical chance here. 2. He had rolled up cards on him and through sleight of hand it looked like the rolled up card was in the fruit. He did not let Harrison slice the fruit. He knew the card because he asked Harrison to state it out loud.

Harrison’s reaction is still funny.

5 Likes

giphy

9 Likes

The time between Harrison saying the card out loud and seeing the card in the grapefruit is really short though, and I don’t see any opportunity for Blaine to sort through all his hidden cards for the right one and get it in position for the insertion during that short window.

2 Likes

And this is from 8 years ago. Did you see him at the Oscars last week?