Watch: Hawai'i wins 2022 Little League World Series via "mercy rule"

Originally published at: Watch: Hawai'i wins 2022 Little League World Series via "mercy rule" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“Mercy?”

4 Likes

60-5 but also 15-4?! Not easy to score against Hawaii.

2 Likes

I wonder how they would fare against the 70s-80s Taiwan little league team…

2 Likes

The use of the term “mercy rule” is a misnomer. The 10-run rule is not in place to limit the number of runs a team can score in a game. Little League strongly urges you to refer to this as the 10-run rule.

It appears that Little League Baseball doesn’t appreciate the connotations that the word ‘mercy’ draws.

4 Likes
4 Likes

What? Why 10 or 15? And what does “respectively” mean there?

2 Likes

It’s a quirk of little league that makes sense to the initiated like an achievement unlocked after successfully recalling 1K stats properly or other. Or it could be something vague like the Netherlands version of Saint Nicholas and his 6 to 8 black men:

2 Likes

Hmm. Six of one, half a dozen of another i guess. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

This sounds a bit like cricket’s follow-on rule, designed to avoid a draw in test cricket, where there’s always a chance of five days of play with no result.

2 Likes

Great song. I also really like the Spanish version by Ottmar Liebert:

2 Likes

This bit helps explain:

NOTE: Beginning with the 2018 Little League season, a 15-run rule option was implemented. Following the same intent as the “10-run rule”

So the gist is: The was a 10-run rule created and then an additional 15-run rule as also created at a later date. So it’s up to the local league to decide which one it’s enforcing and ‘respectively’ here indicates: “Depending on which rule you guys are enforcing”

4 Likes

Thanks, now it makes sense!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.