Watch: Hilarious dog keeps making scary faces in the mirror

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/29/watch-hilarious-dog-keeps-making-scary-faces-in-the-mirror.html

10 Likes

Oh gosh, I love doing that too.

13 Likes

“Damn, I’m good looking!”

12 Likes

Dogs don’t pass the mirror test, so it’s probably thinking “There’s an aggressive dog making mean faces at me over there, I better make mean faces back at it!”

5 Likes

No judgement here, social distancing is hard on the soul. You do what you gotta do to get through it doggo.

3 Likes

Dog’s probably thinking “I’m a yellow lab. I can’t pull this off.”

7 Likes

Checking for spinach?

6 Likes

:dog2: Ok, there’s just under eleven more months to practice. I need to make a face that says, “Don’t try to put that ugly Christmas sweater on me ever again!”

6 Likes

when scent is added the “picture” changes. In my experience dogs vary quite a bit in intelligence. Many of them respond to images in mirrors, others largely ignore them. One of my niece’s dogs was fascinated by mirrors and would use reflective surfaces to direct light…she also had a makeup mirror she’d carry around that she would use to deflect sunlight into your eyes as a joke. She had a pretty good understanding of incidence/reflection at the level of dogs innate understanding of trajectory.

5 Likes

Cats >> dogs. But we love them all.

2 Likes

Me, not so much. I end up looking like John Turturro in O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

Oh-brother

3 Likes

Wish the caption had been “This dog is practicing faces in the mirror and I am giving credit to the owner/original poster of this video.”

3 Likes

Ok, then let’s try something else, anything will do.

2 Likes

I’m doing “sexy look” right now.

2 Likes

Have you ever observed humans, cause they are pretty f’ing stupid. I’ll take any dog of any i.q. over the vast majority of humans. So say I.

4 Likes

Wow, it’s working on me big fella.

2 Likes

ya, they all have their strengths :slight_smile: One thing I have noted with dogs is that when the dog and I are both presented with an event that requires assessment and extrapolation, and it is within a dog’s area of need, then they are at least as quick and capable as I am. Don’t know if that says more about my or the dog’s abilities though… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

that’s actually among the area’s of expertise I had in mind…I used to hike a lot with my dogs, usually hounds, and if the dog says “that’s bear shit” I’m not gonna argue .:slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.