Watch: Hillary Clinton drags Trump (who tweets back) in historic speech claiming nomination

“I believe in science.”

3 Likes

Oh, you’re not even attempting to be serious. You’re just being a troll now. Sad!

3 Likes

Um, also an elitist? Bummer that he often manages to appeal more effectively to poor people, especially the majority of them who are white.

Why do liberals assume that people further to the left of them can’t see that Trump is in many ways worse than Clinton? It seems that since Trump is so clearly repugnant, we can just support HRC and ignore the many ways in which she’s also repugnant.

10 Likes

She did very well. Obviously, she worked very hard, and delivered.

Public speaking is not easy. The true Jedi Master, though, is Barack Obama - he may have given her a few pointers.

4 Likes

It’s true. That guy could sell Trump steaks to a vegan.

5 Likes

What was interesting was just contrasting between the RNC and the DNC.

The RNC was the worst major party political convention I have seen in my life. I’ve never seen anything like it. It was a total clusterfuck!

Floor fights, a half-empty arena, Melania’s blatant plagiarism, half the GOP bigwigs not showing up, filling the time with tools like Scott Baio, then Ted Cruz dissing Trump with his refusal to endorse (that’s epic-level trolling). Finally, Trump’s speech itself was a shitshow - nothing but veneered hate and negativity, and he couldn’t deliver with his usual ad-libbing because when he ad-libs, he does things like making fun of disabled people. So he used the teleprompter and gave a long-winded, uninspiring speech. He was starting to lose his audience by the end, and compensated by bellowing at the top of his lungs. And at the end, the content was better in the original German.

Compare this to the DNC, which was masterful. They had their overarching themes and messaging (Stronger Together), and they kept everyone coordinated to present this theme and this vision. Bernie Sanders bowed out as a true gentleman, with his endorsement of Hillary Clinton. Michelle Obama, Bill Clinton, Tim Kaine, Joe Biden, and Hillary all gave great speeches. They had great supporters - the mothers of the BLM movement talking about the children they lost, coupled with police officers also telling their stories, Rev. Barber of North Carolina, Katy Perry, Khizr Khan talking about his son who died saving his fellow soldiers, and offering to let Trump read his copy of the Constitution (can anyone else see Trump yelling at the TV “KHAAAAAAAAAN!”). There were protesters, but the DNC managed that problem without resorting to excessive force. And Clinton herself nailed her speech, which is a hell of an accomplishment - she’s not as much of a natural at public speaking as, say, Barack Obama, but she worked very hard and delivered a hell of a speech.

There you have it. A tale of two conventions. One that was the worst I’ve ever seen, and one that was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

19 Likes

Just a few little replies here, I know these tweets aren’t all @xeni’s.

I don’t even know if pride is a strong enough word. Did you see Bill? Sometimes they cut to him he looked like he was having the time of his life watching that speech. I’m don’t if he was intoxicated or not, but he was high as a kite either way.

Kind of amazing and yet at the same time dead obvious.

A friend on IRC said: “Trump literally chasing Manafort around Trump Towers right now trying to get his phone back.”

You know, I think I would have said that a few months ago, but I’m understand something about Hillary Clinton these days that I didn’t then. I think the opportunism that people criticize in her is an asset here. The opportunity right now is to win on the most progressive platform in a generation (ever?), and if she can win on that, she can implement it. People detest flip-flopping, but if someone is flipping towards the right thing, then it should be encouraged.

FTFT (Fixed that for Trump)

12 Likes

Oh, Donald. If you lose this election, you’re going to be losing to none more so than yourself.

4 Likes

My favorite response (and her link)

15 Likes

Agreed on all points. She stuck the speech and her delivery will certainly improve–as you said she’s following an All Star Speaker lineup, so it’s hard to shine in such a group…but the speech itself made me forget about the delivery after the first minute, and then the overall understanding of the his herstory of the moment cemented it.

It really was something to see, especially when we consider that the Democratic African-American president just ‘passed the baton’ to the first woman nominated for POTUS, as opposed to the KKK-lite of trump’s convention (like a thin veneer of poorly sourced and low-quality pine epoxied to a dungheap).

Here’s the thing that scares the shit out of me about the whole process. What happens when trump’s minions are able to reproduce DNC production values? What happens when their speakers are able to lay out similarly threatening positions without the jumbotron taking a dump, or with the balloons falling on time? I’m entirely thankful that trump has the organizational ability of a sea slug, because once the people of his ilk find their Leni Riefenstahl, we’re in for a really bad time.

4 Likes

Ha, same thing I’ve been thinking about the Democratic Party. It had a chance to slip the grip of corporate plutocrats, but I guess that grip is just too cozy.

4 Likes

4 days, bascially boil down to “Vote for the mommy, not the bully.”

4 Likes

Um, there are elitists and then there are elitists, just like there are different brands of common folks and all the rest. Some elitists are of the Gracchi persuasion, others, the Neronic. If you can’t honestly debate the very real differences between the two types, and between Hillary and Trump, then that’s your deliberate choice. The differences are real, however, and are apparent to many.

Old white dudes support Trump, working-class and lower-income folks, not so much. Calm thyself, querulous progressive, and look to the numbers! :slight_smile:

It would seem for some that, since Trump is so clearly repugnant, this is a great time to litigate every last aspect of unadopted progressive agendas since Marx walked into the British Library to take a few brief notes on the workings of capitalism. I do not think we’re getting a Purity Pony this year AGAIN, gosh gee, but we might just get a president who won’t kill all of us and will maybe manage to keep the capitalist concern creaking down the road for a few more years while maybe managing to ameliorate part of the same so that maybe someday a less shitty politician can run and maybe do better?

A hawkish foreign policy seems better than a rabidly unhinged one that has no ideology or sense of history to guide it. An elitist domestic policy seems better than a completely fraudulent, criminal, robber-baron one. An imperfect politician seems better than a cartoon huckster demagogue. Am sort of wondering where your political compass actually points that you can’t see those basic truths.

3 Likes

A hawkish foreign policy seems better than a rabidly unhinged one that has no ideology or sense of history to guide it. An elitist domestic policy seems better than a completely fraudulent, criminal, robber-baron one. An imperfect politician seems better than a cartoon huckster demagogue. Am sort of wondering where your political compass actually points that you can’t see those basic truths.

Are you hard of hearing? As I already said:

Why do liberals assume that people further to the left of them can’t see that Trump is in many ways worse than Clinton? It seems that since Trump is so clearly repugnant, we can just support HRC and ignore the many ways in which she’s also repugnant.

5 Likes

Clinton offered hope for her own future, a promise of jobs for herself and family, and affordable education and health care for her friends, and an “inclusive” vision of America led by its first female president who also happens to be a terrible human being.

Fixed again.

5 Likes

But at least her big party wasn’t all white people!

Oh, wait…

2 Likes

Unfounded. Hillary on immigration reform.

8 Likes

recursion is recursion is recursion

It would seem for some that, since Trump is so clearly repugnant, this is a great time to litigate every last aspect of unadopted progressive agendas since Marx walked into the British Library to take a few brief notes on the workings of capitalism. I do not think we’re getting a Purity Pony this year AGAIN, gosh gee, but we might just get a president who won’t kill all of us and will maybe manage to keep the capitalist concern creaking down the road for a few more years while maybe managing to ameliorate part of the same so that maybe someday a less shitty politician can run and maybe do better?

I question neither your reading comprehension nor the quality of your hearing, just your sincerity.

2 Likes

Rumor has it that actions speak louder than words.

2 Likes

Just what is it that you think I’m hiding when I point out HRC’s rank insincerity?

2 Likes