Watch: Hundreds of people panic and flee from skyscraper that suddenly started wobbling for no apparent reason

Aha! Where’s your chabuduo god now?

7 Likes

Probably not. It’s generally only really tall buildings. This one has 79 stories, 20 years old.

3 Likes

Reminds me of this Monty Python sketch…

5 Likes

we had a clown in the office who hung a full beer can on a long string from the top of a doorframe. on really good days you could hear the THUNK every few minutes as the can hit one side of the door or the other. fun times!

4 Likes

rocky horror GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Is there a theater in upper floors of the building? A large audience could create a time warp event.

4 Likes

A few videos have popped up since this item was posted that show the shaking a bit better.

12 Likes

Whenever I was in the Windy City, I’d visit the observation deck of the Willis Tower back when it was still the Sears Tower. It did the same thing. I enjoyed it knowing it was safe, but I can see how that’d be nope city for anyone with even mild vertigo.

4 Likes

That satire flash was important, because I could swear that they were talking about the Grenfell tower.

2 Likes

i’m having a hard time even guessing which building is supposed to be the one wobbling – is it the shorter one, or the taller one?

2 Likes

Thank you for that kind response. I transposed the numbers in my head. :-/

4 Likes

Not sure about active, but tuned passive mass dampers are used in smaller structures for sure. According to Wikipedia they are in pedestrian bridges in Vegas as well as a variety of vehicles.

My recollection is that the now old Oracle HQ in Redwood Shores, all less than 20 stories, had mass dampers.

1 Like

Note to aspiring videographers: if the thing in question is a building shaking, get footage of the building shaking. Not seasick up-and-down wobbles alternating between the wrong building and the crowds below. Ugh.

6 Likes

It happens, no sweat.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. In the video posted by boing boing, I thought it was the white building that was supposed to be swaying, and I couldn’t see any movement. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

OK - I have been in SEG many times … the building that all the people appear to be running away from is NOT SEG - SEG is the hexagonal thing shown at the end of the clip

4 Likes

I had an earthquake hit while in the WC in Wyoming. I was like why is there pee everywhere?! Washed up and walked into a kitchen in chaos… Deep fry oils sloshed hot on the floor, bottles and plates fallen and shattered. It was a mess.

In CA get instantly motion sick when there is anything above a 2.5 quake within 200 miles or so. Sometimes I know about it before my local Twitter fires up.

I found out this week about a 32 year long “slow earthquake” this week in science. Seems most earthquake models need revision to account for these previously unknown phenomenon.

For example Wikipedia defines it as “weeks or months”

Apparently some coral were observed carefully:

5 Likes

Same here. Thanks @Secret_Chimp :+1:

1 Like

Which building was meant to be shaking or was that video filmed on top of it, i have no idea from the video it was all over the shop…

1 Like

Well, as I bike riding Scot, I can see where some traditionally clad chaps would indeed have trouble with mounting or dismounting their pennyfarthing or velocipede.

1 Like